Designing ECG Measurement & Calculations

In summary: This method has the potential to be more consistent, but would need to be validated on a patient by patient basis.In summary, the traditional method is more consistent, but this new method has the potential to be more accurate.
samaaa
Hi guys:I have a project to design ECG

i want to calculate the six leads(I,II,III,aVR,aVL and aVF) by this method:

A013_Einthovens_triangle.gif

i will measure the voltage of three probe or electrode(RA,LA and LL) RL as a reference
by using DAC(digital to analog converter) the DAC connected to PC computer,
and then calculate(I,II,III,aVR,aVL and aVF) mathematically(by using matlab) according to these equations:
I=LA-RA,II=LL-RA,III=LL-LA,aVR=-((I+II)/2),aVL=I-(II/2) and aVF=II-(I/2)

so,what's your opinion about this method versus classical method(other methods)?

Engineering news on Phys.org
samaaa said:
Hi guys:I have a project to design ECG

i want to calculate the six leads(I,II,III,aVR,aVL and aVF) by this method:

A013_Einthovens_triangle.gif

i will measure the voltage of three probe or electrode(RA,LA and LL) RL as a reference
by using DAC(digital to analog converter) the DAC connected to PC computer,
and then calculate(I,II,III,aVR,aVL and aVF) mathematically(by using matlab) according to these equations:
I=LA-RA,II=LL-RA,III=LL-LA,aVR=-((I+II)/2),aVL=I-(II/2) and aVF=II-(I/2)

so,what's your opinion about this method versus classical method(other methods)?

I believe you mean "ADC". A DAC is an output device, and an ADC is an input device.

You will need to do some preamplification between the ECG pads and the ADC inputs. Instrumentation amplifiers are traditionally used for this function...

You also need to consider patient safety in such a design. UL544 is the applicable standard in the US, for example:

http://ulstandardsinfonet.ul.com/tocs/tocs.asp?fn=0544.toc

You have to be very careful not to let any bias voltages show up between pads on a patient -- they have very low impedance access to the patient's body.

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope I didn't understand...

You have already realized that only potential differences can be measured, have you?

For instance, you can measure I, II and III. These voltages are tiny and must be shielded properly before careful preamplification.

berkeman said:
I believe you mean "ADC". A DAC is an output device, and an ADC is an input device.
yes i mean ADC

berkeman said:
You will need to do some preamplification between the ECG pads and the ADC inputs. Instrumentation amplifiers are traditionally used for this function...
i will use AD620a for preamplification .

Enthalpy said:
why:smile:

Enthalpy said:
You have already realized that only potential differences can be measured, have you?
i don't understand what you mean,can you explain more?

Enthalpy said:

samaaa, this was a trick question and you flunked.

Last edited by a moderator:
he can just reference each to ground guys don't give him a hard time

Listen to Berkeman's advice. To protect the body against all faults, no matter how unlikely, it is common and prudent practice to run the instrumentation amplifier from a battery and couple it to the rest of the system through an opto-isolator. Then if your PC power supply shorts, or a meteor hits your computer and it melts down putting 110V onto your ECG amplifier, the human subject cannot be shocked. This is particularly important since ECG gel electrodes are designed to provide a low resistance connection to the body, thus vastly lowering the electrocution threshold.

Carl Pugh , my english is not strong enough to understand trick question

trini and marcusl thank you for your advice

As I read this RL is the Reference - A Relatively neutral point on the Body - regarding Heart function.
The calculation of I, II and III are highly dependent on these points being linear, between RA and LA for example. So this - while technically valid, is probably not very consistent patient to patient - which is important. In the US this is EKG - I have seen have 6 to 8 electrodes - MANY very smart people have tried to simplify this but the subject is too variable - Humans vary too much to make more assumptions).

1. What is an ECG measurement?

An ECG (electrocardiogram) measurement is a test that records the electrical activity of the heart. It shows the rhythm and strength of each heartbeat and can help diagnose potential heart problems.

2. How is an ECG measurement taken?

An ECG is typically taken using electrodes (small sticky patches) placed on the chest, arms, and legs. These electrodes are connected to a machine that records the electrical signals from the heart.

3. What calculations are involved in ECG measurements?

The main calculation involved in ECG measurements is the interpretation of the electrical signals recorded by the machine. This involves analyzing the waves and intervals of the ECG to determine the heart rate, rhythm, and any potential abnormalities.

4. What factors can affect ECG measurements?

There are several factors that can affect ECG measurements, including age, gender, body size, and medical conditions such as heart disease. Certain medications and caffeine can also affect the results of an ECG.

5. How is an ECG measurement used in healthcare?

An ECG measurement is used by healthcare professionals to diagnose and monitor heart conditions. It can also help determine the effectiveness of treatments and guide further medical interventions. Additionally, ECG measurements are often used in routine check-ups to screen for potential heart problems.