Which side of an emergency blanket reflects light the best? Pros Pleas

• Thread starter LifelongStuden
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Light
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of emergency blankets made of Mylar for indoor tomato growing and the debate over which side reflects heat and light better. While some argue that the gold side reflects heat better and others argue for the silver side, there is general agreement that the shinier side reflects heat better. However, in terms of light reflection, it is noted that silver reflects more visible light than gold. It is also suggested that using aluminum foil may be a cheaper and better alternative for light reflection.
LifelongStuden
Hello everyone. I have an indoor tomato grow going. The only reflective material I could get was those emergency blankets also known as a Mylar blanket, space blanket, first aid blanket, thermal blanket or weather blanket. I have them in 2 types:
1. Gold on one side/silver on the other.
2. Silver on both sides.

I did some reading and found only about which side reflects heat better. And it was contradictory information anyway. There were mixed opinions. Some said gold reflects heat better, some said the silver side reflects heat better. But in regards to just silver-sided blankets there was a general agreement that the shinier side reflects heat better.

But that's heat. I am interested in which side reflects light the best? I don't grasp physics well enough to know this. Maybe you smarter scientific fellows could help me out. Heat reflection doesn't interest me. All I care about is which side reflects light the best on both types of blankets?? I know mylar, panda plastic, etc. is way better reflectively. But these blankets is all I could get and all I have to work with, so please don't go off the subject.
Also, would layering these blankets one on another improve light reflectivity? If so, which sides go together and in which order? Please educate this old timer, those of you who know their sh*t.

Science news on Phys.org
Also note that neither side are actually made of silver or gold... that'd be a very expensive blanket. It's almost certainly made of aluminum, which is even better according to that figure.

dipole said:
It's almost certainly made of aluminum, which is even better according to that figure.

Indeed. If you hadn't you already bought the mylar, aluminum kitchen foil would have been both cheaper and a better light reflector.

I would use the silver side, because plants with green leaves reflect green light (that's why they are green!) and absorb the red and blue light from the spectrum to grow. So "yellow" light might be less efficient, even if the gold side seems to be more reflective.

I can provide some insight into which side of an emergency blanket reflects light the best. First, it is important to understand that the reflective properties of a material are determined by its surface characteristics, such as color, texture, and angle of reflection. In the case of emergency blankets, the reflective material is typically a thin layer of aluminum or other reflective material, which is sandwiched between two layers of plastic or fabric.

Based on the information provided, it seems that the two types of emergency blankets you have are either gold on one side and silver on the other, or silver on both sides. In terms of light reflection, the shinier or more reflective side of the blanket will typically reflect light better. This would suggest that the silver side of both types of blankets would reflect light better than the gold side.

However, it is important to note that the color of the reflective material may also play a role in light reflection. For example, gold may appear more reflective to the human eye due to its color, but this does not necessarily mean it reflects light better than silver. In addition, the texture and angle of the reflective material may also affect its ability to reflect light.

In terms of layering the blankets, it is possible that layering them may improve light reflectivity as it increases the overall thickness of the reflective material. However, this may also depend on the type and quality of the reflective material used in the blankets. It may be helpful to experiment with different layering combinations to see which provides the best results.

Overall, while emergency blankets may not be the most efficient or effective option for reflecting light, they can still be useful in indoor gardening situations. I hope this information helps in your tomato grow and further experimentation.

1. What is an emergency blanket and why is it used?

An emergency blanket, also known as a space blanket, is a lightweight, reflective sheet made of Mylar and used to prevent heat loss in emergency situations. It is commonly used by hikers, campers, and emergency responders to provide warmth and protection from the elements.

2. Which side of an emergency blanket should be facing outwards?

The shiny, reflective side of an emergency blanket should be facing outwards. This side is designed to reflect body heat back towards the person, keeping them warm. The dull, matte side should be facing inwards, as it is not reflective and will not provide the same level of insulation.

3. Does the color of the emergency blanket affect its reflective properties?

No, the color of an emergency blanket does not affect its reflective properties. The reflective material, usually Mylar, is what makes the blanket effective in reflecting light and heat.

4. Are there any factors that may affect the reflective capabilities of an emergency blanket?

Yes, there are a few factors that may affect the reflective capabilities of an emergency blanket. These include the condition of the blanket (e.g. tears or holes), the angle at which the light is hitting the blanket, and external factors such as wind or moisture.

5. Are there any alternatives to using an emergency blanket for reflecting light?

Yes, there are a few alternatives to using an emergency blanket for reflecting light. These include using other reflective materials such as aluminum foil or a mirror, building a fire for warmth and light, or using a flashlight or other light source. However, an emergency blanket is specifically designed for this purpose and is a lightweight, compact option for reflecting light in emergency situations.