Register to reply

Truth table to boolean expression

by Bipolarity
Tags: boolean, expression, table, truth
Share this thread:
Bipolarity
Apr20-13, 10:10 PM
P: 783
I have a 9 input to 9 output truth table I constructed using Python. I am trying to find a program that can deduce the (hopefully minimized) Boolean expression for my outputs. I tried Logisim already, but when I try to paste the enormous data (512 rows), my Logisim crashes. Can anyone recommend me a program that generates minimized Boolean expressions from huge truth tables with its own paste feature (so I can paste the truth table from a clipboard)? It should have don't care states also.

Thanks!

BiP
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
Greater safety and security at Europe's train stations
Fingerprints for freight items
On the way to a safe and secure smart home
jambaugh
Apr21-13, 07:25 AM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 1,776
The general method (which I've only done by hand for 3 or so inputs) involves using Karnaugh maps so you can start by searching "Karnaugh reduction software" or something similar. Note that this is a classic problem in logical circuit design (creating logic gates with minimal number of components on a IC chip) and so you will find a great deal of info out there.

.... a quick look on wikipedia got this:
Espresso heuristic logic minimizer
Bipolarity
Apr21-13, 10:21 AM
P: 783
Thanks.
I am aware of K-maps and the Quine-McCluskey minimization algorithm. It's just that I don't have the time to draw out a 9-bit K-map. I have the truth table at hand, just need a program (can be proprietary) that can do the Boolean work for me.

BiP

jambaugh
Apr21-13, 11:00 AM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 1,776
Truth table to boolean expression

The wikipedia page on the subject points to a Python implementation of the Quine McCluskey algorithm, it might be ideal given you started in python generating your table.

https://pypi.python.org/pypi/qm/0.2

Register to reply