Need advice on extracting carboxylic acids from an NaOH Mixture

In summary, the carboxylic acid can be extracted from a NaOH solution by neutralizing it with an acid, and then decanting the mixture.
Zensation
I have an amino carboxylic acid that is practically insoluble in most alcohols and in water, but supposedly soluble in an 20% NaOH solution.

A basic reaction is run with an organic solvent/reactant, and the amino carboxylic acid dissolved in the NaOH solution. After the reaction the layers are easily separated. With the NaOH layer separate, by what method is the carboxylic acid able to be extracted from the NaOH layer?

I've read one way to do this is to neutralize the base with equal parts Hydrochloric acid but I am unsure if the carboxylic acid will dissolve in HCL, and if possible, I would want to avoid such acids all together.

Any ideas?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
What will happen if you neutralize the base in water solution, and if the acid is insoluble?

That is a possibility but then I face the problem of the formed salt(from the NaOH being neutralized by an acid) potentially being unseparable from the carboxylic-acid. This of course could be done if the salt can be filted out from the acid with water rinses, but this would assume that the acid is totally insoluble in water, which, I won't know until I try.

There is no such thing as "completely insoluble", and separation is always a matter of finding a good compromise between what is left and what is lost.

Too low pH can probably dissolve the acid back (you have mentioned the amine group, it will get protonated).

You can neutralize and try to extract the acid into some non-polar, immiscible solvent. It may require good pH control.

Ah, so, if I carefully control the PH, I can add acid until the PH is neutral, and then I could decant off mixture and be left with the remaining carboxylic acid? Will this acid-base neutralization leave any solid residual products in the mistd of my carboxylic?

I realize that NaOH + HCL will produce a NaCl salt, but this salt will likely be dissolved in the mixture and easily separable from the nondissolved carboxylic, correct?

Zensation said:
Ah, so, if I carefully control the PH, I can add acid until the PH is neutral, and then I could decant off mixture and be left with the remaining carboxylic acid? Will this acid-base neutralization leave any solid residual products in the mistd of my carboxylic?

Depends on what was present in the solution, but as most chlorides are well soluble I would not expect any other solids. Unless you happen to have other, weakly soluble acid in the solution.

I realize that NaOH + HCL will produce a NaCl salt, but this salt will likely be dissolved in the mixture and easily separable from the nondissolved carboxylic, correct?

That's the idea. It is all in the fine print - a lot depends on the acid itself, and its pKa values.

1. What is the purpose of extracting carboxylic acids from an NaOH mixture?

The purpose of extracting carboxylic acids from an NaOH mixture is to separate and purify the carboxylic acids from the mixture. This is important for further analysis and use of the carboxylic acids in various applications.

2. What is the process of extracting carboxylic acids from an NaOH mixture?

The process of extracting carboxylic acids from an NaOH mixture involves several steps including acidification of the mixture, separation of the layers, and then isolation and purification of the carboxylic acids through techniques such as distillation or chromatography.

3. What is the role of NaOH in the extraction process?

NaOH, or sodium hydroxide, is used to neutralize the carboxylic acids in the mixture and convert them to their corresponding sodium salts. This helps to make the acids more soluble in water and allows for easier separation from other components in the mixture.

4. What are some common challenges faced in the extraction of carboxylic acids from an NaOH mixture?

Some common challenges include incomplete acidification of the mixture, difficulty in separating the layers, and contamination of the extracted carboxylic acids. It is important to carefully follow the procedure and use proper techniques to overcome these challenges.

5. How can the purity of the extracted carboxylic acids be ensured?

The purity of the extracted carboxylic acids can be ensured through techniques such as melting point determination, thin-layer chromatography, and spectroscopy. It is also important to handle the acids with care and avoid contamination during the extraction process.