Register to reply

Simplifying with symmetry.

by ThomGunn
Tags: simplifying, symmetry
Share this thread:
ThomGunn
Jan23-14, 08:27 PM
P: 17
I am working on a condensed matter research project and we have just been introduced to the idea of symmetry.

My question is, in two dimensions, how do the 17 plane groups help simplify condensed matter theory problems. If a specific case is needed to narrow the responses than working within a square lattice of say the Heisenberg model of a ferromagnet/antiferromagnet. I can see how it might be used to identify degenerate ground states, but I don't have the experience or knowledge to see the greater value of symmetry. Any advice/pointers/insights would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Interfaces within materials can be patterned as a means of controlling the properties of composites
A new, tunable device for spintronics
Researchers study gallium to design adjustable electronic components

Register to reply