Discover the Algebraic Rule for Equivalent Expressions: A/as + 1 = 1/s + 1/a

In summary, the conversation was about finding the algebraic rule for the equivalence between the expressions a/(as + 1) and 1/(s + (1/a)). Mark44 clarified the ambiguity in the original expressions and showed how they can be simplified to demonstrate their equivalence. Me_student thanked Mark44 for the clear explanation.
tranceical
Hi guys,

please could someone tell me how this is equivalent and/or what the algebraic rule is?

how is this: a/as + 1

is equivalent to this: 1/s+1/a

Thanks a lot for your time and help

Mathematics news on Phys.org
So a/as=1/s do you agree?

tranceical said:
Hi guys,

please could someone tell me how this is equivalent and/or what the algebraic rule is?

how is this: a/as + 1

is equivalent to this: 1/s+1/a
First off, what you wrote is ambiguous. Taken literally, what you wrote is ##\frac{a}{a}s + 1 = s + 1##, if a ≠ 0.

Assuming that's not what you meant, it could be either
##\frac{a}{as} + 1##
or ##\frac{a}{as + 1}##

Starting with 1/s + 1/a, the rule for adding fractions says that we need a common denominator, so
1/s + 1/a = a/(as) + s/(as) = (a + s)/(as). This doesn't match any interpretations of what you wrote, so I don't see that what you started with is equal to 1/a + 1/s.

Thanks for the replies. Sorry for the ambiguity i should have used parentheses.

Mark44 - What i meant: how is a/(as+1) equivalent to 1/(s+(1/a))

Me_student - i understand a/as=1/s but i don't understand how the other
terms equal? i.e. how does the +1 term from a/(as+1) become 1/a?

many thanks

tranceical said:
Thanks for the replies. Sorry for the ambiguity i should have used parentheses.

Mark44 - What i meant: how is a/(as+1) equivalent to 1/(s+(1/a))
a/(as + 1) = a/[a(s + 1/a)]
Can you finish it and show that the last expression is equal to 1/(s + 1/a)?
What I did was factor a from both terms in the denominator.
tranceical said:
Me_student - i understand a/as=1/s but i don't understand how the other
terms equal? i.e. how does the +1 term from a/(as+1) become 1/a?
I explained that above.

Likes 1 person
Thanks a lot Mark44 you've made that perfectly clear to me, i can see how the expressions equal now. Much appreciated :)

1. What is the definition of algebraic equivalence?

Algebraic equivalence refers to two or more mathematical expressions or equations that have the same value or solution. This means that they are equivalent and can be used interchangeably in calculations.

2. How do you prove algebraic equivalence?

To prove algebraic equivalence, you must show that both sides of the equation or expression simplify to the same value. This can be done through various algebraic operations, such as combining like terms, factoring, or using the distributive property.

3. Can you give an example of algebraic equivalence?

One example of algebraic equivalence is the expressions 2x + 4 and 6x - 8. Both of these expressions simplify to 2x + 4, showing that they are equivalent.

4. What are some common mistakes when dealing with algebraic equivalence?

Some common mistakes when dealing with algebraic equivalence include forgetting to distribute a negative sign, not simplifying fractions, or making errors in factoring. It is important to carefully check each step and use algebraic rules correctly to avoid these mistakes.

5. How is algebraic equivalence used in real-life situations?

Algebraic equivalence is used in various real-life situations, such as in finance, engineering, and physics. For example, it can be used to calculate compound interest, design circuits, or solve equations representing physical laws. It is an essential concept in many fields that require mathematical modeling and problem-solving.