by ajtgraves
Tags: arguments, complex
Share this thread:
ajtgraves
May6-14, 03:27 AM
P: 2
I'm trying to sketch the nyquist plot of
$$\frac{j\omega-1}{j\omega+1}$$
but can't seem to calculate the argument correctly. I think it should be $$\arctan(-\omega) - \arctan(\omega) = -2\arctan(\omega)$$ but this doesn't give the correct nyquist plot behaviour for $\omega \to 0$ and $\omega \to \infty$ - surely $-2\arctan(\omega)$ implies that $\lim_{x\to 0} = 0^\circ$ and $\lim_{x\to \infty} = -180^\circ$?

Wolfram Alpha disagrees but I can't see where I'm going wrong. Am I making a glaring error somewhere? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks very much
Phys.Org News Partner Mathematics news on Phys.org
Heat distributions help researchers to understand curved space
Professor quantifies how 'one thing leads to another'
Team announces construction of a formal computer-verified proof of the Kepler conjecture
eigenperson
May6-14, 04:52 PM
P: 160
You're an electrical engineer, right? So j means the square root of -1?

Assuming it does, I think you are off by 180 degrees. The formula ##\mathrm{arg}(x + yj) = \arctan(y/x)## is valid when ##x > 0##, but if the real part of ##x + yj## is negative, as it is in the numerator, you need to adjust for the fact that arctan only returns angles in ##(-\pi/2, \pi/2)## by using ##\mathrm{arg}(x + yj) = \pi + \arctan(y/x)##.
ajtgraves
May6-14, 05:20 PM
P: 2
Aaah, I'm with you now, that all makes much more sense. This link helped me too: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Complex...e_and_argument

Thanks very much once more, I really appreciate the help.

Register to reply