Integrals on exam I couldn't answer

In summary, you are unable to solve integrals involving x-1. You need to introduce a new variable, u, and use substitution to solve them.
noboost4you
On a recent exam I took, these integrals came up and I was unable to answer them correctly:

[tex]
\int \frac{2}{(x-1)^2+1} dx
[/tex]

and

[tex]
\int \frac{2}{\sqrt{1-(x-1)^2}} dx
[/tex]

I had absolutely no idea how to solve those 2 equations and my professor decided not to go over any of the problems from the test. He did mention that I needed to use substitution, but I am still unclear of how to solve them.

Can anyone help me out?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org

Do you know how to do these integrals?

[tex]
\int \frac{1}{x^2+1}\,dx
[/tex]

and

[tex]
\int \frac{1}{\sqrt{1-x^2}}\,dx
[/tex]

Originally posted by Ambitwistor
Do you know how to do these integrals?

[tex]
\int \frac{1}{x^2+1}\,dx
[/tex]

and

[tex]
[/tex]

[tex]
[/tex] = inverse sine

and

[tex]
\int \frac{1}{x^2+1}\,dx
[/tex] = inverse tangent

I only know those answers by rule, when he added more constants and suggested substitution is when I didnt understand.

The factors of 2, you can just pull out of the integral, since they're constant multiplicative factors. As for the substitution, if you'd like to turn your integrals into the ones I gave, then you can see that you'd really like there to be x's where you have (x-1)'s. So that's what you have to substitute x = x-1. To be clear, introduce a new variable: u = x-1. Then du/dx = 1, so du = dx, and you can rewrite the integral purely in terms of u by substituting u for x-1 and du for dx.

[tex]
\int \frac{2}{(x-1)^2+1} dx
[/tex] would equal

2[tex]\int \frac{1}{(x-1)^2+1} dx[/tex]
then u = x-1
du = dx
the new integral then equals
2[tex]\int \frac{1}{u^2 +1} du[/tex]
which in turn equals 2tan^-1(x-1) ??

and

[tex]
\int \frac{2}{\sqrt{1-(x-1)^2}} dx
[/tex] would equal

2[tex]\int \frac{1}{\sqrt{1-(x-1)^2}} dx[/tex]
then u = x-1
du = dx
the new integral then equals
2[tex]\int \frac{1}{\sqrt{1-u^2}} du[/tex]
which in turn equals 2sin^-1(x-1) ??

am I correct?

Thanks again

Yes, you're correct.

Great! Only if I would have known that last week ;)

Thanks again

What is an integral?

An integral is a mathematical concept used to find the area under a curve in a given interval. It is the inverse operation of differentiation and is commonly used in calculus and other branches of mathematics.

How do you solve integrals?

Integrals can be solved using different methods, such as substitution, integration by parts, and partial fractions. The method used depends on the complexity of the integral and the techniques known by the person solving it.

What are the applications of integrals?

Integrals have various applications in different fields, such as physics, engineering, economics, and statistics. They are used to calculate the area under a curve, volumes of solid objects, and to solve differential equations.

What is the fundamental theorem of calculus?

The fundamental theorem of calculus states that differentiation and integration are inverse operations. It establishes a relationship between the two concepts, allowing for the calculation of integrals using antiderivatives.

What should I do if I can't solve an integral on an exam?

If you are unable to solve an integral on an exam, don't panic. You can try different methods, such as substitution or integration by parts, to see if you can make progress. If you still can't solve it, move on to the next question and come back to it later if you have time. Remember to show all your work, as partial credit may be given for your efforts.