Tablet PC for Students - Student Reviews & Experiences

In summary, Tablet PCs are not very useful for students and are better suited for use when the teacher is projecting the notes.
brentd49
Hi,

I was wondering if there were other people out there that used Tablet PCs, specifically students. I only know of one other person who uses one, but he doesn't use it for class because of battery life. I am considering buying one, but I'd like to hear from other students that have experience with the tablet pc and any complaints or recommendations they have.

-Brent

Computer science news on Phys.org
I knew someone who had a tablet. It wasn't very useful. If you want a laptop get a laptop. That tablet part is just a gimick.

Since I'm a staunch Mac guy, I don't pay much attention to what's happening in the PC world. I seem to recall seeing an ad, however, for a full-bore laptop that folds flat into a tablet (or unplugs from the screen section to form one, or something like that). Maybe that's a compromise that would suit you.

brentd49 said:
Hi,
I was wondering if there were other people out there that used Tablet PCs, specifically students. I only know of one other person who uses one, but he doesn't use it for class because of battery life. I am considering buying one, but I'd like to hear from other students that have experience with the tablet pc and any complaints or recommendations they have.
-Brent

A local all girls school is going tablet PC for all their students.

I think they are clunky for use and a regular laptop is more productive (typing is a lot more comfortable than writing)

My school (left last year) gave everyone one and they wern't much good. They were really fragile, slow connecting to wifi, and no better than writing your notes on paper really. The only thing they were good for was when the teacher plugged there's into a projector so you could see what was going on. I would just get a laptop instead.

1. What are the top features of a tablet PC for students?

Some of the top features of a tablet PC for students include portability, versatility, and the ability to take notes and access digital textbooks. Many tablet PCs also have a long battery life, touch screen capabilities, and the ability to run multiple apps at once.

2. Are tablet PCs suitable for all types of students?

While tablet PCs can be useful for many students, they may not be the best fit for everyone. Students who heavily rely on specialized software or who need a traditional keyboard and mouse may not find a tablet PC to be the most suitable option.

3. Can tablet PCs replace traditional laptops for students?

It depends on the individual student's needs and preferences. Some students may find that a tablet PC meets all their requirements and can replace a traditional laptop. However, others may still need a laptop for certain tasks, such as coding or video editing.

4. Are tablet PCs cost-effective for students?

Tablet PCs come in a range of prices, so it ultimately depends on the specific model and brand. However, in general, tablet PCs can be a cost-effective option for students as they often have longer lifespans and can eliminate the need for purchasing additional supplies, such as notebooks and textbooks.

5. How do tablet PCs benefit students compared to other devices?

Tablet PCs offer several benefits for students, including increased mobility, ability to take notes and access digital materials, and the option to use different apps for studying and organization. They also tend to have longer battery life and can be more compact and lightweight than traditional laptops.