Using 3% Hydrogen Peroxide as Mouthwash: Benefits & Risks

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of 3% Hydrogen Peroxide as a mouthwash recommended by a dentist. While it is safe for short term use, there may be potential long term effects and it is important not to swallow it. The FDA has approved 3% hydrogen peroxide for use as a mouthwash, but commercial solutions may contain harmful chemicals. It is also mentioned that the price of 3% hydrogen peroxide is relatively expensive, but it may be possible to dilute a higher concentration solution for other purposes.
JohnSimpson
I've been advised by my dentist to use 3% Hydrogen Peroxide as a mouthwash, to help clear bacteria out from underneath the gumline. Although I trust his judgment, I couldn't help but notice that hydrogen peroxide is poisonous. I'm sure this is safe to do for the short term, as it's used as a topic antiseptic all the time, but I'm wondering about possible long term effects of this, so any information or opinions would be helpful

edit: and yes, I know I'm not supposed to swallow the stuff

thanks

Last edited:
Biology news on Phys.org
I wouldn't be too woried about 3% H2O2...its the 30% you need to watch out for.

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrogen_peroxide ,
The Food and Drug Administration has approved 3% hydrogen peroxide ("Food Grade", or without added chemical stabilisers) for use as a mouthwash. Commercial peroxide solutions (most H2O2 bought over the counter from pharmacies) are not suitable for ingestion as they contain additional harmful chemicals.
And the MSDS, http://www.jtbaker.com/msds/englishhtml/H4073.htm ,
Ingestion:
Large oral doses may cause irritation and blistering to the mouth, throat, and abdomen. May also cause abdominal pain, vomiting, and diarrhea.
So as you said, just don't swallow any of it and you should be in good shape.

I am an American living in New Zealand. Hydrogen peroxide 3% costs about 5$ for 125ml here. Is there any cheap easy way to make a couple liters of the stuff?

Depends on the planned use. You may try to buy 30% stuff and dilute it tenfold, but I would not do that if you need 3% solution for medical use, as you don't know what is in the 30% technical solution - it may contain harmful stabilizers or contaminants. But it can be perfectly safe for other tasks.

I understand your concerns about using hydrogen peroxide as a mouthwash. While it is true that hydrogen peroxide is poisonous in its concentrated form, the 3% concentration used in mouthwashes is generally considered safe for short-term use. It is also important to note that hydrogen peroxide is a common ingredient in many household and personal care products, such as cleaning solutions and hair dyes.

The potential benefits of using hydrogen peroxide as a mouthwash, as advised by your dentist, include its ability to kill bacteria and help remove plaque from the gumline. This can contribute to maintaining good oral hygiene and preventing gum disease. However, it is important to follow the instructions provided by your dentist and not to swallow the mouthwash.

In terms of long-term effects, research on the use of hydrogen peroxide as a mouthwash is limited. Some studies have shown that long-term use of high concentrations of hydrogen peroxide can cause irritation and damage to the oral tissues. However, the 3% concentration used in mouthwashes is considered safe for short-term use. It is always a good idea to consult with your dentist about any concerns you may have and to follow their recommendations for oral care.

In conclusion, while there are potential risks associated with using hydrogen peroxide as a mouthwash, the 3% concentration is generally considered safe for short-term use and can have benefits for maintaining good oral hygiene. It is important to use the mouthwash as directed and to consult with your dentist if you have any concerns.

1. What are the benefits of using 3% hydrogen peroxide as mouthwash?

Using 3% hydrogen peroxide as mouthwash can provide several benefits for oral health. It helps to kill harmful bacteria and reduce plaque, which can lead to improved gum health and fresher breath. Hydrogen peroxide also has antiseptic properties that can aid in wound healing and reduce inflammation in the mouth.

2. Is it safe to use 3% hydrogen peroxide as mouthwash?

While 3% hydrogen peroxide is generally considered safe for use as a mouthwash, it is important to use it in moderation and follow proper dilution instructions. Overuse or using a higher concentration of hydrogen peroxide can lead to irritation and damage to oral tissues. It is also not recommended for children under the age of 12.

3. How do I properly use 3% hydrogen peroxide as mouthwash?

To use 3% hydrogen peroxide as mouthwash, mix an equal amount of water with the peroxide solution. Swish the mixture in your mouth for 30 seconds to one minute, then spit it out. Be sure not to swallow the solution and rinse your mouth with water afterwards. It is recommended to use it once or twice a week, rather than daily.

4. Can using 3% hydrogen peroxide as mouthwash whiten my teeth?

While hydrogen peroxide is a common ingredient in teeth whitening products, using 3% hydrogen peroxide as mouthwash is not likely to have a significant whitening effect. It may help to remove surface stains, but it is not a substitute for professional teeth whitening treatments.

5. Are there any risks associated with using 3% hydrogen peroxide as mouthwash?

There are some potential risks associated with using 3% hydrogen peroxide as mouthwash. Overuse or using a higher concentration can lead to irritation and damage to oral tissues. It may also cause a temporary discoloration of the tongue and teeth. It is important to follow proper dilution instructions and use it in moderation to minimize these risks.