Fluid mechanics: Some elementary concepts

In summary, this tutorial discusses some elementary concepts in fluid mechanics, starting with the distinction between a particle description and a field description (Lagrangian vs. Eulerian formalism), and moving on to different concepts such as particle trajectories, streamlines, material curves and streak lines, Bernoulli's equation, Crocco's theorem, Kelvin's theorem, Helmholtz' theorem for vortex lines, and the helicity theorem. Finally, the tutorial covers the assumptions behind irrotational, i.e, potential flow, the generalized potential flow known as the Clebsch flow, and the elegant principle known as Luke's principle of variation.
arildno
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
In this thread, I will explore some elementary concepts in fluid mechanics, starting with the distinction between a particle description and a field description (Lagrangian vs. Eulerian formalism).
I will continue by distinguishing between the concepts of particle trajectories, streamlines, material curves and streak lines.
Furthermore, I'll look into the basic derivations we may make with these concepts in inviscid flow, namely Bernoulli's equation, Crocco's theorem, Kelvin's theorem, Helmholtz' theorem for vortex lines,and the helicity theorem.
Lastly, I'll look into the assumptions behind irrotational, i.e, potential flow, the generalized potential flow known as the Clebsch flow, and the elegant principle known as Luke's principle of variation.

Quite a bit more to follow in a while..

Physics news on Phys.org
I am interested seeing some of this stuff if you're still interested in going through it.

arildno said:
In this thread, I will explore some elementary concepts in fluid mechanics, starting with the distinction between a particle description and a field description (Lagrangian vs. Eulerian formalism).
I will continue by distinguishing between the concepts of particle trajectories, streamlines, material curves and streak lines.
Furthermore, I'll look into the basic derivations we may make with these concepts in inviscid flow, namely Bernoulli's equation, Crocco's theorem, Kelvin's theorem, Helmholtz' theorem for vortex lines,and the helicity theorem.
Lastly, I'll look into the assumptions behind irrotational, i.e, potential flow, the generalized potential flow known as the Clebsch flow, and the elegant principle known as Luke's principle of variation.
Quite a bit more to follow in a while..

If you finally do this stuff, honestly I think your point of view should be a more "engineering oriented" one. I have been studying fluid mechanics during 3 years when undergrad and now doing the Ph.D. in aerospace engineering, and I have never heard about Luke's principle nor Clebsch flow. I'm pretty sure they exist and they are important, but I think they are not the kind of stuff you should include in a tutorial for giving the big picture of this science.

To my understanding a better guideline could be something like:

i) Fluid Kinematics: Eulerian description, Pathlines, Streamlines, Streaklines.
ii) Integral Balance Equations: Continuity, Momentum, Total Energy, Kinetic Energy, Enthalpy and Entropy. Incompressibility assumption. Vorticity Equation.
iii) Differential forms. Reynolds Transport Theorem.
iv) Non dimensional Relevant Parameters.
v) Flow at low Reynolds. Poiseuille and Couette Flows. Stokes Equations. Oseen's approximation. Hydrodynamic Lubrication.
vi) Flow at high Reynolds. Boundary Layer. Blausius Similarity Solution. Bernoulli Equation.
vii) Compressible Flow. Rankine-Hugoniot equations. Shock Waves and Expansion Fans.
viii) Classical Hydrodynamics. Surface Gravity Waves. Shallow Water equations. Flow over obstacles.
viii) Stratified Flow. Bousinessq approximation. Buoyancy frequency. Internal Waves.
ix) Turbulent Flow. RANS equations. Reynolds stress tensor. Auschtag Viscosity coefficient. Closure problem. Boussinesq approximation. Round Turbulent Jet.

Last edited:
Good ideas. I had quite forgotten about this thread.

Clausius2 said:
... I have never heard about Luke's principle nor Clebsch flow. I'm pretty sure they exist and they are important, but I think they are not the kind of stuff you should include in a tutorial for giving the big picture of this science.
Luke's variational principle is quite elegant and worth to mention especially when potential theory is on the scene. Even, variational calculus itself is a must for anyone interested in fluid mechanics. Finite element people are quite good at dealing with the variational form of the partial differential equations.

1. What is fluid mechanics?

Fluid mechanics is a branch of physics that deals with the study of fluids (liquids and gases) and their behavior when subjected to forces and motion. It involves the study of how fluids flow, how they interact with their surroundings, and how they are affected by external forces.

2. What are some examples of fluids?

Some examples of fluids include water, air, oil, and gasoline. Essentially, any substance that can flow and take the shape of its container is considered a fluid.

3. What are the main principles of fluid mechanics?

The main principles of fluid mechanics include conservation of mass, conservation of momentum, and conservation of energy. These principles govern how fluids behave and interact with their surroundings.

4. What are some real-world applications of fluid mechanics?

Fluid mechanics has many practical applications, including designing aircrafts and other vehicles, predicting weather patterns, understanding blood flow in the human body, and developing efficient pumps and turbines for energy production.

5. How is fluid mechanics related to other branches of science?

Fluid mechanics has connections to many other branches of science, including physics, chemistry, biology, and engineering. It is also closely related to other fields such as thermodynamics, aerodynamics, and hydrodynamics.