What Did I Learn from My 12-Day Journey through China and South Korea?

• Thread starter kant
  • Start date
  • Tags
    China
In summary, the Chinese government is very strict with their laws and the police carry guns. From the point of view of a traveler, the Chinese people are nice but the city is challenging. People are very interested in foreigners and they will likely ask to take pictures with you.
kant
I traveled for the last past 12 days in China Macau and South korean. It was an eye opener for me.
You can ask me any questions about the two region with the best of my ability. My main interest is to read other peoples opinions about the people, and culture of this two region( southern china, south korea).

Physics news on Phys.org
:biggrin: okay, let me ask you. Did you have watery-crab porridge in Macau and braised beef ribs in Korea? They are delicious :approve:

Hello,
I had a talk with a fellow who came from China a while ago, so I too know a little bit but anyway I'd like to know something from you.
From the point of view of a traveler, how do you see Chinese government?
Are laws very strict like they seem to be?
How did you like people? Were they nice to you?
Walking along crowded streets of Chinese city, did you get a big head ache from all the talks around you? (joke)
And, did you notice in both Korea and China something that was totally different from your previous thoughts and feelings about them? Something that you had never thought of?

Thanks,

:cry: :cry: :cry: aggggggghhhhhhhhh! I have a secret but I cannot tell you Heartless!

heartless said:
From the point of view of a traveler, how do you see Chinese government?
Are laws very strict like they seem to be?
I had a similar question I wanted to ask you about your view of the [Communist] Chinese government. Did you notice it [the communism] much, or did everything seem normal to you? (I have my own opinion from my travels, but I don't want to influence you).

Where are you from? Could you speak the lanuage when you went to China / Korea?

Did you notice the different colors of the military/police? Green/brown/darker brown/blue all in one city, what is the deal with that?
Do the Chinese police [those guys who stand on the street corners and don't move, who I only assume are police] carry guns? I don't remember.

First of all, I am South Korean, So I also will try to answer these questions.

Korea and China use completely different lanuguages, although the roots are pretty close (although korean is closer to japanese than chinese in grammer)

People will be very interested in you if you are foreign.

A co-worker of mine is just back from his first trip home to China in something over 20 yrs. He says the change is incredible.

Bladibla said:
That is VERY true.
It was a little strange how many people would come up and ask to have their picture taken with me (as if I was some sort of celebrity) while in Beijing and Xian. I couldn't figure out why I was so popular (and I couldn't ask them why), but it pleased them to no end to speak a few words of English to us and take a picture.
I actually have a picture of me, having a picture taken of me with someone else.

As for the languages, Korean (Hangul) is a much nicer language I think (both visually and the way it sounds). For one thing, typing the lanuage is easier on a key board, instead of having to spell out the sound of the chinese character you want using English letters [or atleast that is how I was told they do it].

:biggrin: yeah things are quite different in China now, even a soya sauced duck is selling at RMB280,000, wonder why:biggrin:
F200512261942451903726288.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I can t say i am very fond of the city( macau). The people are rude, corrupt, dirty, and have very little civic responsibility. Perhaps, it is the remnent of third world habits, or perhaps this is the third world. There are no rule of law. People would cross the dirty, garbage ridden streets without much regard for street lights. People would spit on the streets, and pick their nose in public space. there is no rule of law. The public sophistication is low. The scholar is not revered. Everyone seem to live in the moment. You can see food stands that serve grassy, oily food to students walking out the schools. This is a culture that belief the world is bad, cruel and the only to way to servive is by stepping on other people. The idea of education, and individual worth is earning money. This city challenge my morality. I feel bad for the children that grow up in such unsupportive, chaotic, lawless world around them.

Last edited:
Polly said:
:biggrin: yeah things are quite different in China now, even a soya sauced duck is selling at RMB280,000, wonder why:biggrin: [PLAIN]http://pic.people.com.cn/mediafile/200512/26/F200512261942451903726288.jpg[/QUOTE][/URL]

What is the big deal about that, Polly? do that picture really amuse you that much? Get a life.

Last edited by a moderator:
Polly said:
:cry: :cry: :cry: aggggggghhhhhhhhh! I have a secret but I cannot tell you Heartless!

HeHe Polly I know your secret! Calm down! :)

I can t say i am very fond of the city( macau). The people are rude, corrupt, dirty, and have very little civic responsibility. Perhaps, it is the remnent of third world habits, or perhaps this is the third world. There are no rule of law. People would cross the dirty, garbage ridden streets without much regard for street lights. People would spit on the streets, and pick their nose in public space. there is no rule of law. The public sophistication is low. The scholar is not revered. Everyone seem to live in the moment. You can see food stands that serve grassy, oily food to students walking out the schools. This is a culture that belief the world is bad, cruel and the only to way to servive is by stepping on other people. The idea of education, and individual worth is earning money. This city challenge my morality. I feel bad for the children that grow up in such unsupportive, chaotic, lawless world around them.

Wow.. And you learned all that in 12 days! You must be VERY observant! :rolleyes:

Anttech said:
Wow.. And you learned all that in 12 days! You must be VERY observant! :rolleyes:

Sure, you don t have to trust everything i wrote. These are merely my observations. I am just telling you what i saw. All american should feel very fortunate to be born american. Even for the poorest American, you would still be in a much better position to develop your fullest genetic potential. You are taugh consciously or unconsciously a set of moral values, and the view that life is limitless. This is one of the most valuable asset for any individual human being. Over here, racial bias is not a taboo, but a fact of life. People are taught to be bad just just to survive. The cultural sophistication here is similar the pre-industrical revolution in europe.

Last edited:
Sorry couldn't resist

I can t say i am very fond of the city(Los Angeles). The people are rude, corrupt, dirty, and have very little civic responsibility. Perhaps, it is the remnent of third world habits, or perhaps this is the third world. There are no rule of law. People would cross the dirty, garbage ridden streets without much regard for street lights. People would spit on the streets, and pick their nose in public space. there is no rule of law. The public sophistication is low. The scholar is not revered. Everyone seem to live in the moment. You can see food stands that serve grassy, oily food to students walking out the schools. This is a culture that belief the world is bad, cruel and the only to way to servive is by stepping on other people. The idea of education, and individual worth is earning money. This city challenge my morality. I feel bad for the children that grow up in such unsupportive, chaotic, lawless world around them.

A serious question, how readily available and relatively expensive are organic and free range (not including poultry:smile: ) foods and products in Hong Kong?

fi said:
A serious question, how readily available and relatively expensive are organic and free range (not including poultry:smile: ) foods and products in Hong Kong?

:biggrin: ahhh, we are not bothered with the new agey thing, we reckon even if we can avoid the pesticide on the vegetable, mercury in the fish, asthma drug in the pork (to yield more lean meat) and the chicken with flu, we will surely be killed by the polluted air and the murderous working pressure :biggrin: .

terrific!:yuck:
thanks, Polly.
I also note the schools provide measures in case of extreme weather. How often do you tend to be affected by severe weather?

Too bloody unoften enough! :grumpy:

To what level? If you go to... India. Boy do all those kids really stare at the white man.

In Thailand they are not as interested in you, but hey, being white is a sign of wealth, they're always touching your face and looking at you and smiling and stuff.

3rd world Africa is like India. Yeah, don't go. All the kids just stare at you and want money. If I gave money to rupees, well I'd have to give rupees to the next 25, then turn around and hand them out.

If you really feel scared, you can grab a handful and throw the opposite way you are going to run.

I <3 America.

So how well populated are different areas of South Korea? What cities did you go to? Did you visit any rural areas? What did you buy? How was the food? What was the extent of globalization? How close were military influences where you were? What was the general attire? How were women treated different than men? What kind of jobs did people have? Any especially notable places you visited? Same questions for China. :) How was it touring around China? Did you have to have somebody following you around? Did you stay in a tour group the whole time? Do you have any pictures? Pictures would be so lovely! I am very interested. Are they up on the internet somewhere like http://photobucket.com or a blog?

:biggrin: Thanks anybody that answers.

What was the value of the dollar?

I remember how Claude from Spain loved America so much. Something I remember was something like this:

In America, if you ask a man on the street for directions or help he will gladly help you, even maybe bring you there. In Spain if you do, the man on the street will ignore you, because he has something better to do.

How is it in China and South Korea? I expect it to be more like Spain.

Last edited:
So how well populated are different areas of South Korea?

A lot. Many of the different areas are basically smaller versions of seoul.

What cities did you go to?

I personally went to Busan, Masan, Daejon (My father lives there) and too many other to mention. I personally lived in Seoul all my life before coming to london.

Did you visit any rural areas?

Great rural areas and places of history. gyungju, for example, is the place where the greatest (arguably) collection of Sinya dynasty buddhist temple, exists, along with fantastic tombs.

What did you buy? How was the food?

Good, although there will be questionable favourites or some westerners. (Personally, I don't CARE you care about dogs. If it is tasty, Ill still eat it. note, this does NOT mean that I won't have a dog as a pet)

What was the extent of globalization?

Too general of a question to answer

How close were military influences where you were?

Contrary of what some might think, NONE. Only the border is noticeable heavily armed.

What was the general attire?

Normal

How were women treated different than men?

Most treat them equal, but some don't. Like nearly any other country out there.

What kind of jobs did people have?

Too general of a question to answer.

Any especially notable places you visited?

Gyungju, Busan and of course, Seoul.

Polly said:
Too bloody unoften enough! :grumpy:
...ok,thanks!

I came back to america today. O boy, do i love the air here. I can actually breath again. I feel like i woke up from a nightmere. God bless this country... God bless the air here...

Last edited:

1. What were your main takeaways from your trip to China and South Korea?

From my 12-day journey through China and South Korea, I learned a lot about the culture, history, and people of both countries. One of my main takeaways was the impressive economic growth and development in both countries. I also gained a deeper understanding of the complexities of the relationship between China and South Korea, both historically and in the present day.

2. What were some of the most interesting places you visited during your trip?

During my trip, I had the opportunity to visit some truly amazing places. In China, I was blown away by the Great Wall, the Forbidden City, and the Terracotta Army. In South Korea, I was fascinated by the bustling city of Seoul, the ancient city of Gyeongju, and the beautiful temples and palaces throughout the country.

3. Did you encounter any cultural differences between China and South Korea?

Yes, there were definitely some cultural differences between the two countries. For example, in China, there is a strong emphasis on hierarchy and respect for elders, while in South Korea, there is a more individualistic culture. Additionally, food and language were also distinct differences between the two countries.

4. How did your trip to China and South Korea impact your perspective on global issues?

My trip definitely broadened my perspective on global issues. It allowed me to see firsthand the effects of rapid economic development and globalization on these countries. It also gave me a better understanding of the importance of cultural awareness and sensitivity in navigating international relationships.

5. Would you recommend visiting China and South Korea to others?

Absolutely! Both countries have so much to offer, from their rich histories and cultures to their modern cities and stunning landscapes. I would highly recommend visiting both China and South Korea to anyone interested in exploring new cultures and expanding their worldview.