Partial differential equation problem

In summary, eljose's question was about whether it is possible to convert a PDE to an equivalent elliptic equation. The answer is that it is not possible to do so in general, though there are some cases where it might be possible. Tantoblin's objection was that you cannot, in general, convert specifically to the elliptic form Uxx+ Uyy+ Uzz= 0, Laplace's equation.
eljose
If we call [tex] U_{xx}= \partial _{x} \partial _{x} U [/tex] the second partial differential derivative so we have for the Laplace operator:

[tex] \nabla ^{2} U = U_{xx}+U_{yy}+U_{zz} [/tex] then let,s suppose we have the differential equation:

[tex] aU_{xx}+bU_{yy}+cU_{zz}+dU_{xy}+eU_{xz}+fU_{yz}=0 [/tex]

then my question is if we can use a linear transform to choose another coordinate system so the equation read: [tex] \nabla^{2} U=0 [/tex]

thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think not.

Think of quadratic forms. In three dimensions, can you use a coordinate transform to bring an arbitrary quadratic form into the form [tex]\xi_1^2 + \xi_2^2 + \xi_3^2[/tex]? What quantities are invariant under linear transforms?

-But if the form is quadratic?...take into account that if the function is "smooth" then [tex] U_{xy}=U_{yx} [/tex] so the differential equation remains unchanged under changing x by y or z and so on...

Well, what I wanted to say was (in two dimensions, say), that it doesn't make sense to try to change the PDE [tex]U_{xx} - U_{yy} = 0[/tex] (hyperbolic) into [tex]U_{xx} + U_{yy} = 0[/tex] (elliptic). The former has two characteristics while the latter has none. This is related to the theory of quadratic forms in the following way: if your 2nd order PDE is given by [tex] a_{ij} U_{x_i x_j}[/tex] then there is an associated quadratic form [tex]a_{ij} \xi^i \xi^j = 0[/tex] (summation over repeated indices understood).

Now, there are two classical invariants for quadratic forms, the rank (being the rank of the matrix [tex]a_{ij}[/tex]) and the signature. Recall that the signature is found by diagonalizing [tex]a_{ij}[/tex] and reducing it to a form with only +1 and -1 on the diagonal; the number of -1s is the signature. Linear transformations leave rank and signature invariant. For instance, the hyperbolic equation I mentioned earlier has signature 0 and the elliptic equation has signature 1 and are hence inequivalent.

So the answer to your question is no.

I think that if the equation is originally elliptic, I think it should be some way of transforming the equation to canonical form (i.e. lap(U)=0)

eljose said:
If we call [tex] U_{xx}= \partial _{x} \partial _{x} U [/tex] the second partial differential derivative so we have for the Laplace operator:

[tex] \nabla ^{2} U = U_{xx}+U_{yy}+U_{zz} [/tex] then let,s suppose we have the differential equation:

[tex] aU_{xx}+bU_{yy}+cU_{zz}+dU_{xy}+eU_{xz}+fU_{yz}=0 [/tex]

then my question is if we can use a linear transform to choose another coordinate system so the equation read: [tex] \nabla^{2} U=0 [/tex]

thanks.
You must presise your space (sobolev, holder, besov,...) and your boundary conditions

I think eljose's question was really about getting rid of the first derivative forms which you can (almost) always do.

Tantoblin's objection was that you cannot, in general, convert specifically to the elliptic form Uxx+ Uyy+ Uzz= 0, Laplace's equation.

It might, rather, be the case than you can convert to the hyperbolic forms Uxx+ Uyy- Uzz= 0 or Uxx- Uyy- Uzz= 0, the wave equation, or
the parabolic forms Uxx+ Uyy+ Uz= 0 or Uxx+ Uy+ Vz= 0, the heat(diffusion) equation.

1. What is a partial differential equation (PDE)?

A partial differential equation is a type of mathematical equation that involves multiple independent variables and their partial derivatives. It is used to describe physical phenomena in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

2. What is the difference between a PDE and an ordinary differential equation (ODE)?

The main difference between a PDE and an ODE is that a PDE involves multiple independent variables, while an ODE only involves one independent variable. This means that a PDE describes the relationship between multiple quantities, whereas an ODE describes the relationship between a single quantity and its derivatives.

3. What are some applications of PDEs?

PDEs have a wide range of applications in various fields, such as fluid dynamics, heat transfer, quantum mechanics, and financial modeling. They are used to model and predict the behavior of complex systems and phenomena.

4. How do you solve a PDE problem?

Solving a PDE involves finding a function that satisfies the given equation and any boundary conditions. This can be done analytically using methods such as separation of variables, or numerically using techniques like finite difference or finite element methods.

5. What are some challenges in solving PDE problems?

One of the main challenges in solving PDE problems is the complexity of the equations and the difficulty in finding exact solutions. Numerical methods are often used, but they require careful consideration of accuracy and stability. Another challenge is dealing with the large amount of data and computational resources needed for solving PDEs in real-world applications.