What Are the Latest Developments in Engineering?

In summary: It is a very expensive technology, but it could be a lot more efficient than compressors and refrigerant.
DarkAnt
I'm in a high school engineering class. I have to do a project on "a current development in any engineering field". btw current development means that a new innovation is occurring. Any ideas?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Anything on nanotechnology,

big engineering projects which have been proposed like a Straights of Gibraltar bridge,

construction of the International Space Station

three which popped into my head

ty ty ty

yea, i wanted to do nanotech but i kinda hit a brick wall on that one. its still in the science stage than in the engineering stage.

Last edited:
Oh no it isn't.

Look up nano-storage. They're working on developing nano memory cells which write and rewrite on the nano-scale by melting and unmelting a surface. There was an article in Scientific American a few months back about it.

People are developing gears for nano-machinery.

Carbon nanotubes are used in various places in industry

CPUs are pushing nano-tech scale, if they aren't already.

CPUs are pushing nano-tech scale, if they aren't already.
This leads to a question, where is the fine line between nano-tech and non-nanotech? CPUs are attacking 50nm scales, with 80nm going into production now.

Is pure-optical switching/processing considered nanotech?

To me, just doing stuff at nanoscale isn't the promised nanotechnology. Labs have been working at atomic scales ever since the invention of the scanning tunneling microscope. Bell labs and IBM labs used to be in competition to write the logos of their companies in single atoms.

What Drexler announced that was new was the nanoassemblers. So that's my key: the demostration of effective nanoassemblers.

To me its simple: nanotech referrs to MACHINES. Electric motors the width of a human hair, etc. Electric circuits are in a different realm.

well... my teacher didn't like the international space station. He called it a "jumble of pre-existing engineering" so I'm going to use the nano storage. Thanks enigma!

Here's the issue in case you haven't found it yet:

http://www.sciam.com/issue.cfm?issueDate=Jan-03

thanks enigma :smile:

AFM?

Nano-storage is really cool, thanks enigma :smile: I just have one problem, I've been seeing the term AFM a lot. What does AFM stand for?

Never mind, i found it. It stands for atomic force microscopy.

As an added thought to the above excellent comments: Superconductivity is a developing field with enormous prospect and continued investigation.

This is probably coming too late for the original poster, but if others should need a similar subject for a topic to explore, magnetic refrigeration is cool (pun intended).

It is fairly new technology being developed into commercially viable uses now.

The way I understand it to work is that a special metal heats slightly when brought in contact with a permanant magnet and when it is removed from the magnet it cools below it's initial temperature. They are trying to make the technology work for very low refrigerant temperatures it is much more efficient than compressors and refrigerant.

Here is a link:
http://www.external.ameslab.gov/news/release/2001rel/01magneticrefrig.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
that is really interesting. How much do one of those magnets cost?

Originally posted by DarkAnt
that is really interesting. How much do one of those magnets cost?

The way I understand it, the magnet is just a magnet, but the gadolinium powder is a special mixture of rare Earth materials, which are available, but Ames' Laboratory has been working on the right combination for quite some time. So you may or may not be able to duplicate the cooling and warming of the metal as it is brought close to and moved away from the magnet.

1. What is the difference between innovation and development in engineering?

Innovation refers to the creation of new ideas, methods, or products, while development is the process of improving or expanding upon existing ideas, methods, or products. In engineering, innovation often leads to new developments that further improve upon existing technology or create entirely new solutions to problems.

2. How does engineering development impact society?

Engineering developments have a significant impact on society as they improve the quality of life for individuals and communities. For example, developments in renewable energy technologies have the potential to reduce our dependence on fossil fuels and mitigate the effects of climate change. Additionally, advancements in medical engineering have led to the creation of life-saving devices and treatments.

3. What are some recent developments in engineering?

Recent developments in engineering include the rise of artificial intelligence and machine learning, the development of self-driving cars, advancements in renewable energy technologies, and the use of 3D printing in various industries. Other notable developments include the creation of advanced prosthetics, virtual and augmented reality technologies, and the use of drones in various applications.

4. How do engineers stay updated on developments in their field?

Engineers stay updated on developments in their field through various means, such as attending conferences, reading journals and research papers, participating in professional organizations, and networking with other engineers. Many companies also provide training and development opportunities for their engineers to keep them up-to-date on the latest developments in their industry.

5. How do engineering developments contribute to economic growth?

Engineering developments contribute to economic growth by creating new industries, generating jobs, and increasing productivity and efficiency. For example, the development of new technologies in the automotive industry has led to the creation of new jobs and increased production, contributing to economic growth. Additionally, advancements in engineering often lead to cost savings and improved processes in various industries, further boosting economic growth.