Terminal Velocity: Speed Beyond the Universe

• Thread starter drakken1985
  • Start date
In summary, the speed of light is the maximum speed that a mass can travel and is the limit to what we can know about the universe.
drakken1985
Granted, the universe is expanding, granted the rate or speed is ever increasing, but what is the terminal velocity, knowing that anything with mass can not reach the speed of light?

Space news on Phys.org
The 'expansion of the universe' refers to the expansion is of space itself and not the motion of masses (e.g., galaxies) within the universe. Perhaps someone can correct me here, but I don't think there is a known maximum expansion rate (considering we only recently discovered that the expansion is accelerating). During the inflationary period immediately following the Big Bang event, space expanded much faster than the speed of light. The current expansion rate is expressed by the Hubble Constant.

I think you're right

Phobos said:
The 'expansion of the universe' refers to the expansion is of space itself and not the motion of masses (e.g., galaxies) within the universe. Perhaps someone can correct me here, but I don't think there is a known maximum expansion rate (considering we only recently discovered that the expansion is accelerating). During the inflationary period immediately following the Big Bang event, space expanded much faster than the speed of light. The current expansion rate is expressed by the Hubble Constant.

I'm no expert, just an amateur that watches shows like Nova and reads posts like this, but when I was 12 years old (and I'm on;y 33), people were still fiddling with the idea that the space-time was static except for warping caused by gravity, there were still people arguing that Black Holes don't exists, and many people thought the universe expanding or collapsing was only an expression of inertia vs. gravity.

Then Hawking started talking about the space-time structure changing, and more recently, that the universe is actually expanding, which if true is proof that the "fabric" of the universe is expanding, not just the matter within it, 'cause matter don't just accelerate for no good reason.

I doen't know of any reason to say that no-matter realities, such as changes in the space-time curvature are limited to the speed of light. To the contrary, the force gravity seems to instantaneous (correct me if I'm wrong) and this mind boggling "sppoky action at a distance" of quantum physics seems to transmit "information" faster than the speed of light over, supposedly, infinite distance (I still think they need to stop calling it "information" which makes it sound like the electrons are talking to each other)

string querry said:
I doen't know of any reason to say that no-matter realities, such as changes in the space-time curvature are limited to the speed of light. To the contrary, the force gravity seems to instantaneous (correct me if I'm wrong) and this mind boggling "sppoky action at a distance" of quantum physics seems to transmit "information" faster than the speed of light over, supposedly, infinite distance (I still think they need to stop calling it "information" which makes it sound like the electrons are talking to each other)

These are not correct. Current theories on gravity does not make it instantaneous. The EPR-type experiment has been exhaustively discussed in the QM forum and has been clearly described to not transmit information faster than the speed of light.

Please do a search in the relevant forums to correct your understanding on these.

Zz.

What is terminal velocity?

Terminal velocity is the maximum speed an object can reach when falling through a fluid, such as air or water. It occurs when the drag force of the fluid is equal to the force of gravity on the object.

What factors affect terminal velocity?

The factors that affect terminal velocity include the mass, size, and shape of the falling object, as well as the density and viscosity of the fluid it is falling through.

Can terminal velocity be exceeded?

Terminal velocity is the fastest speed that an object can reach while falling through a fluid. It is not possible for an object to exceed terminal velocity, as the drag force will always equal the force of gravity at this speed.

Can terminal velocity be reached in space?

No, terminal velocity can only occur in the presence of a fluid, so it cannot be reached in the vacuum of space. However, objects in space can reach speeds that are comparable to terminal velocity due to gravitational acceleration.

Is terminal velocity the same for all objects?

No, terminal velocity is different for each object based on its mass, size, and shape. For example, a feather will have a lower terminal velocity than a bowling ball due to its lighter weight and greater surface area.