Degree of first order coherence and fluctuations

In summary: I'm new here, but I hope that someone would evenly help me!My first question is about the problem (3.3 on page 100 from Loudon - The Quantum Theory of Light 3ed) in the attachment; the second question is about discussing (I)the physical origin of fluctuations of the electromagnetic radiation, in the classical and in the quantum model, and (II) which kind of correlation among the em radiation features brings to the limit of the coherent state (minimun uncertainty state with (deltaX)^2=(deltaY)^2) and which one else gives the squeezed states (mus with (deltaX)^2 not equal to (deltaY)^2).Thank
cilestrino
Hi! I'm new here, but I hope that someone would evenly help me!

My first question is about the problem (3.3 on page 100 from Loudon - The Quantum Theory of Light 3ed) in the attachment; the second question is about discussing (I)the physical origin of fluctuations of the electromagnetic radiation, in the classical and in the quantum model, and (II) which kind of correlation among the em radiation features brings to the limit of the coherent state (minimun uncertainty state with (deltaX)^2=(deltaY)^2) and which one else gives the squeezed states (mus with (deltaX)^2 not equal to (deltaY)^2).

Thank you very much to all of you that every night and day discuss within the forum.
Thanks for reading!
Fran:blushing:

Attachments

• loudon3.3.pdf
    377.1 KB · Views: 322
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
This is a problem I'm intersted in looking at, but I'm getting a 'corrupted file' error when I try to open the zip file.

working attachment

thank you very much!
try this pdf. I hope you could help me also with the second question...
I'm very obliged even only for your interest!
Bye,

Attachments

• loudon3.3.pdf
    377.1 KB · Views: 239
Last edited:
normalized correlation function

As someone could be interested in helping me to solve it, I write the equation that I need to solve to get the degree of first order coherence for a beam of light whose electric field amplitude has the following form:​
[tex]E(t)=E_1(t)\exp{[ik_1z-i\omega_1t+i\varphi_1(t)]}+E_2(t)\exp{[ik_2z-i\omega_2t+i\varphi_2(t)]}[/tex].​

The Degree of First Order Coherence, then, for it, is given by definition as its normalized correlation function as follows:
[tex]g^{(1)}(\tau)=\frac{\langle E^{\ast}(t)E(t+\tau)\rangle}{\langle E^{\ast}(t)E(t)\rangle}[/tex].​

Someone knows how to rigourously solve the means between bra and ket simbols?

I solved it as follows:
[tex]\frac{\langle E^{\ast}(t)E(t+\tau)\rangle}{\langle E^{\ast}(t)E(t)\rangle}=\frac{\frac{1}{T}\int_T E^{\ast}(t)E(t+\tau)}{\frac{1}{T}\int_T E^{\ast}(t)E(t)}[/tex]​

where I put [tex]E^{\ast}(t)=E_1(t)\exp{[-ik_1z+i\omega_1t-i\varphi_1(t)]}+E_2(t)\exp{[-ik_2z+i\omega_2t-i\varphi_2(t)]}[/tex]

Is this correct, where the asterisk indicates the complex conjugate of the counterpart without it? If the signs in the exp functions are correct, what does happen to the amplitudes [tex]E_1(t)[/tex] ed [tex]E_2(t)[/tex]?

Please help me.

Thanks,

Last edited:
wow..that problem is cool...i am only 14 and such a language intrigues me...what and were do you study celestrino?

vijay123 said:
wow..that problem is cool...i am only 14 and such a language intrigues me...what and were do you study celestrino?

I'm taking bachelor degree in physics in Bari, Italy.
However, I solved that problem on my own, and though it seemed to me very complex, I can assure that it is very easy (making some useful hypoteses before solving).
The subject of this problem concerns Quantum Optics, a very fascinating physics branch...

Hi:blushing:

1. What is the degree of first order coherence?

The degree of first order coherence is a measure of the correlation or similarity between two electromagnetic waves. It is a dimensionless quantity that ranges from 0 to 1, with 0 representing no correlation and 1 representing perfect correlation.

2. How is the degree of first order coherence measured?

The degree of first order coherence is typically measured using an interferometer, which splits a single beam of light into two paths and then recombines them. The resulting interference pattern can be analyzed to determine the degree of coherence.

3. What is the significance of the degree of first order coherence in optics?

The degree of first order coherence is important in optics because it can affect the behavior and properties of light. For example, highly coherent light sources are necessary for applications such as holography and interferometry, while low coherence can result in blurry or distorted images.

4. How does the degree of first order coherence relate to fluctuations?

The degree of first order coherence is inversely proportional to the amount of fluctuations in the electromagnetic wave. This means that highly coherent waves have low fluctuations, while low coherence waves have high fluctuations.

5. Can the degree of first order coherence change over time?

Yes, the degree of first order coherence can change over time. Factors such as temperature, pressure, and path length can affect the coherence of a wave. In addition, as light travels through different mediums, its coherence can change due to scattering and absorption.