How can I change a file's type in Windows XP?

• Thread starter bomba923
  • Start date
  • Tags
    File Type
In summary, one can change the file extension on a Windows XP computer from .htm to .wmv by following the steps outlined in earlier versions of Windows.
bomba923
In earlier versions of Windows, all one had to do to change a file type is simply rename the extension. How, though, does one change a file's type in Windows XP?

For example, I have some downloaded video files that are listed as "htm" files. When opening them in Windows Media Player, I get a message saying that WMP might not recognize the file type. Ignoring the message, I ask WMP to play the file and it does so PERFECTLY (in other words, the media file has a wrong extension). I want to edit this file in Windows Movie Maker, but it "doesn't recognize the extension" (it doesn't even try to, unlike WMP). In earlier versions of Windows, all one had to was to rename the file's extension (from .htm to .wmv).

But HOW can I accomplish this in Windows XP?

Computer science news on Phys.org
You can change the extension to wmv just as you did in previous versions of Windows. It's no different.

Perhaps you don't have Windows set to show you the full filenames, however. Open up your folder, select Tools->Folder Options...->View tab and uncheck "Hide extensions for known file types." Click "Apply to All Folders" and you should be set.

- Warren

:smile: Thanks chroot! Now it works

Last edited:
I wonder if you could help. I am trying to do the same thing.

I upload a video from my digital camera, the file extension is .mov

I can't open this with windows moviemaker, it says the file type is not valid, even when I followed the steps above. Any ideas on what I can do so I can edit these in windows movie maker?

install quick time player
http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/win.html
extensions mov work only with quick time player , while windows media player plays only avi, wmv etc , but not .mov
also there are converters that can make .mov into .avi or something else ... try finding "winavi" , but I'm not sure it's the exact program .
edit : after some browsing i found that - RAD Video Tools, TMPGEnc, VirtualDub , those programs can help you convert it to avi , so you can use it in the moviemaker , or you can see here http://www.alivemedia.net/videoconverter.htm for some download hint

Last edited:

1. How do I change the file type in Windows XP?

To change the file type in Windows XP, you will need to open the "Folder Options" in the Control Panel. From there, go to the "File Types" tab and select the file type you want to change. Click "Change" and then select the new program you want to use to open the file. Click "OK" to save the changes.

2. Can I change the file type for multiple files at once?

Yes, you can change the file type for multiple files at once in Windows XP. Simply select all the files you want to change, right-click on one of them, and choose "Open With" from the menu. Then, select the program you want to use to open the files and click "OK". This will change the file type for all the selected files.

3. How do I know which program is currently associated with a file type?

To see which program is currently associated with a file type, you can go to the "Folder Options" in the Control Panel. From there, go to the "File Types" tab and select the file type you are interested in. The program associated with that file type will be listed under the "Opens with" section.

4. Can I create my own file type in Windows XP?

Yes, you can create your own file type in Windows XP. To do so, you will need to open the "Folder Options" in the Control Panel and go to the "File Types" tab. Click "New" and enter the file extension and description for your new file type. Then, select the program you want to use to open the file and click "OK". Your new file type will now be added to the list.

5. What should I do if I accidentally changed the file type for a specific file?

If you accidentally changed the file type for a specific file, you can easily change it back by following the same steps as changing the file type. Open the "Folder Options" in the Control Panel, go to the "File Types" tab, and select the file type you want to change back. Click "Change" and then select the correct program to open the file. Click "OK" to save the changes and the file type will be reverted back to its original setting.