Number of modes in incoming light

In summary, the speaker is asking why the number of modes in a light source filtered to 0.1 nm bandwidth centered at a wavelength of 500 nm is not equal to the density of photon states multiplied by the bandwidth. The other person explains that the speaker is omitting the factor for the occupation fraction of a Bose gas, which results in the number of occupied states rather than the number of available states. The speaker is still confused about the difference between "mode" and "state".
octol
Hello all,

if I have incoming radiation from a blackbody source filtered to a bandwidth of 0.1 nm and centered at a wavelength of 500 nm, why is the number of modes in this light not equal to the density of photon states times the bandwidth?

I.e why isn't it
[tex]\text{number of modes} = g(\omega) * \delta \omega = \frac{\omega^2}{\pi^2 c^3} \delta \omega[/tex]
where
[tex]\omega = \frac{2 \pi c}{500 nm}[/tex]
and
[tex]\delta \omega = \frac{2 \pi c}{0.1 nm}[/tex] ?

If anyone knows why I'd be very thankful for an explanation.Jon

Physics news on Phys.org
You're omitting the [itex]exp(\hbar \omega/kT ) - 1 [/itex] factor in the denominator, which comes from the occupation fraction of a Bose gas, if you are interested in the number of occupied states and not just the number of available states.

Yes but I thought that adding that factor would give me the number of photons? And that the there are more than one photon for every mode (frequency). Or have I missunderstood the question? I thought that "mode" refers to the number of available frequency states?

I can't say I've fully grasped the difference between "state", "mode" etc yet

1. What are modes in incoming light?

Modes in incoming light refer to the different ways in which light can be polarized or propagated. It is a measure of the number of distinct polarization states or spatial patterns of light that can exist in a given medium.

2. How is the number of modes in incoming light determined?

The number of modes in incoming light is determined by the properties of the medium through which the light is passing. The refractive index, thickness, and boundary conditions of the medium all play a role in determining the number of modes. In general, the more complex the medium, the higher the number of modes.

3. How does the number of modes in incoming light affect the quality of an image?

The number of modes in incoming light can affect the quality of an image by influencing the resolution and contrast. With a higher number of modes, there is a greater ability to resolve fine details and produce a clearer image. However, too many modes can also lead to distortions and decreased contrast.

4. Can the number of modes in incoming light be controlled?

Yes, the number of modes in incoming light can be controlled by changing the properties of the medium. For example, by using a material with a higher or lower refractive index, or by altering the thickness or shape of the medium, the number of modes can be manipulated.

5. How does the number of modes in incoming light impact communication systems?

The number of modes in incoming light is a crucial factor in determining the bandwidth and capacity of communication systems. With a higher number of modes, more information can be transmitted simultaneously, leading to faster and more efficient communication. This is especially important in high-speed data transmission and fiber optic communication systems.