How Much TV Do You Watch a Day?

• Thread starter Monique
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Television
In summary: He's played great, but no one else on the team has stepped up to help him. He'll be back next year though.In summary, the conversation discusses the amount of time spent watching television each day. Respondents mention that they often have the TV on as background noise but do not give it their full attention. Some enjoy specific shows or channels, while others rarely watch TV at all. The conversation ends with a mention of a football game that was not watched on TV but followed through another medium.

How much time do you spend watching television?

• I never watch television

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • Couple times a week short

Votes: 5 27.8%
  • Couple times a week long

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 0-1 hours a day

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • 1-2 hours a day

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • 2-3 hours a day

Votes: 5 27.8%
  • 3 hours or more

Votes: 2 11.1%

• Total voters
Monique
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I am wondering how much time a person spends watching television a day.. be honest! :wink:

BTW with the couple times a week I mean occasionally or few :)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by Monique
I am wondering how much time a person spends watching television a day.. be honest! :wink:

I spend more time on Monitor rather than tv - Only for Cricket matches(IND Vs AUS)
And for EUFA league when on one side is ManU(i'm a great fan)

Van N'roy is a great striker how u rate him Monique

And Adventure movies on Star Movies like

Brotherhood of the Wolves
The Pirates of Carribean
Shakespear in Love

So my total Account will be approx 10-20hrs/week

I selected "couple of times a week short", but it's more like "per month". Although I do enjoy "Antiques road show" on PBS. Makes me afraid of ever throwing anything away. Who would have guessed that Alaskan Eskimo bark hat was worth $92,000??

My 16 year old daughter does not watch tv at all when she's home and makes fun of my "viewing habits", ok, so I watched Average Joe...a few times... Hey, how often do you see that many nerds on TV & in swimsuits?!

Usually less than 3 hours per week. I spend more time on computer though. :smile:

It's often on as background noise. I honestly can't remember the last time I actually gave my full attention to an entire 30-minute television show. Every now and then Discovery or TLC will have something worth paying attention to, however. You'll often find me hanging out in my living room, reading or writing something, with the TV on but ignored.

- Warren

Originally posted by chroot
It's often on as background noise. I honestly can't remember the last time I actually gave my full attention to an entire 30-minute television show. Every now and then Discovery or TLC will have something worth paying attention to, however. You'll often find me hanging out in my living room, reading or writing something, with the TV on but ignored.

- Warren

Ditto. I rarely give my full attention to the TV these days...but it's almost always on. Often I realize that I've had it on for hours but with the volume turned off.

Originally posted by chroot

- Warren

I do the same. I developed the background noise habit after I first moved out, and ever since then I just leave it on. 90% of the time it's on the Discovery Channel, but I'm usually reading or working and not paying full attention.

My kids set up the TV for my wife, but now I'm alone I never watch it. Last weekend they had the postseason football game with the Packers. I tried turning it on and found it wouldn't work. It had been months without going on and that was a surprise. So I followed the play-by-play on the ESPN website. Not quite the same, but not chopped liver either. Pity about the result though.

There doesn't seem to be enough time for me to watch the shows I like. Either that or maybe because I'm really boring. I just read a lot. Right now, It's a magazine, a book and the philosophy/politics part of the forums. I'm trying to dig through all the archives and then I'll move on to the Physics one. I like memorizing the good ones.

Originally posted by selfAdjoint
Pity about the result though.
Truly.:frown: Poor Brett. He's had a very tough month.

1. How does watching TV for extended periods of time affect my health?

Research has shown that excessive TV watching can increase the risk of obesity, cardiovascular disease, and type 2 diabetes. It can also lead to a sedentary lifestyle and decrease physical activity, which can further impact overall health.

2. Is there a recommended amount of TV to watch per day?

The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends no more than 1-2 hours of screen time per day for children and adolescents. For adults, the World Health Organization suggests limiting screen time to less than 2 hours per day.

3. Can watching TV affect my mental health?

Studies have shown a link between excessive TV watching and mental health issues such as depression and anxiety. This may be due to the sedentary nature of TV watching and the impact it has on social interactions and relationships.

4. How does the content of TV shows impact the amount of TV I watch?

The type of content you watch can contribute to how much TV you consume. Binge-watching shows with complex storylines or suspenseful dramas can lead to extended periods of TV viewing. On the other hand, choosing to watch educational or informative programs may not have the same effect.

5. Is there a difference between watching TV and using other screens, such as a phone or laptop?

While excessive screen time in general can have negative effects on health, TV watching may be more harmful due to the prolonged sitting and lack of physical activity it often involves. Additionally, the content and context of TV shows may have a greater impact on mental health compared to other screens, such as social media or gaming.