Just watching the users over a period of time

In summary, the guest to registered user ratio on this site is about 10:1 and many people prefer reading posts rather than making their own. The concept of lurkers, or those who read without actively participating, is the opposite of trolls, who often make disruptive comments. One user stumbled upon the site accidentally and became a dedicated supporter, highlighting the positive impact this community has on science education. Many users may choose to read through forums before posting, which is beneficial for avoiding duplicate topics and questions.
Blahness
I notice that we have about a ~10:1 guest:registered user ratio, usually. 471:45 as I type this, in fact.

Why don't people register, so we can talk about interesting stuff? =(

Physics news on Phys.org
Most people enjoy reading the posts more than making a post.

Think opposite of trolls. You don't hear about them because they don't speak up.

Ah. I'm not used to thinking of lurkers, since I'm so used to trolls(I come from a community that tends to spawn trolls by the hundreds =()

It was the other way around for me. I found this site by accident through Google when I was using a library computer to try finding a hovercraft formula. It was so interesting that I started poking around. Some high-school girl had a question about something, and I tried to answer. Then I found out that you had to register in order to post. So I registered. Then, I found out that the site is maintained through donations, so I got an internet hookup and became a supporter. Best investment that I've ever made in my life. Even if I never personally benefitted from it ( and I do... to an incredible extent), it would be worth it for the good that it does to science education. If something like this had existed when I was a kid, I probably would have finished school. I only hope that my meager input can make that difference to someone else.
By the bye, my first encounter with PF was my very first time being on the net.

I think that's what they're supposed to do. Reading through the forums instead of bombarding them with duplicate topics/questions. This is a good thing.

1. What is the purpose of watching users over a period of time?

The purpose of watching users over a period of time is to gain a deeper understanding of how they interact with a product or system. This can provide valuable insights into user behavior, preferences, and pain points, which can then be used to improve the overall user experience.

2. How long should you watch users for?

The length of time for watching users can vary depending on the goals of the study and the complexity of the product. It is recommended to observe users for at least 1-2 hours to gather sufficient data, but longer periods of time may be necessary for more in-depth analysis.

3. Can any user be observed or are there specific criteria?

Ideally, the users being observed should be a representative sample of the target audience for the product. This ensures that the data collected is relevant and applicable to the majority of users. It is also important to ensure that the users are comfortable with being observed and their privacy is respected.

4. What are the benefits of watching users over a period of time?

Watching users over a period of time allows for a more comprehensive understanding of their interactions with a product. This can reveal patterns and trends that may not be apparent in a single observation session. It also allows for the identification of recurring issues or areas for improvement.

5. Are there any limitations to watching users over a period of time?

While watching users over a period of time can provide valuable insights, it is important to keep in mind that it is just one method of user research. It may not capture all aspects of user behavior and should be used in conjunction with other research methods. Additionally, the results may be influenced by the presence of an observer and may not accurately reflect real-world usage.