Implicit differentiation question

In summary, the conversation discusses using implicit differentiation and parametric equations to find the derivative of a function, as well as applying this concept to a related rates problem involving the volume of a cylinder. The final answer for the related rates problem is 1633.6 in^3/sec.
donjt81
I have this question in which I know I probably have to use implicit differentiation but I have no idea how to do this can someone give me a hint to get started. all the implicit differentiation problems I have done only have a combination of x and y but this one has x, y and t.

find dy/dx for x = 4sint, y= 4cost

thanks in advance...

Physics news on Phys.org
Those are parametric equations. So [tex] \frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{\frac{dy}{dt}}{\frac{dx}{dt}} [/tex]

Ohh ok soo... this is what I did

d/dt x = d/dt 4sint
dx/dt = 4cost

d/dt y = d/dt 4cost
dy/dt = -4sint

dy/dx = -4sint/4cost
= -tant

does that look right?

yep, that is correct.

thanks a lot!

I have another similar question... i was wondering if you could help me out

so now i have a problem in "related rates" and I have to use the volume of a cylinder formula.

v = pi * r^2 * h

rate of change of the radius (dr/dt) is given and the rate of change of the height (dh/dt) is given. I am supposed to find the rate of change of the volume (dv/dt). so i thought finding the d/dt of each side of the above equation will get me the answer but i don't know how to differentiate the right side... this is what i am looking at

d/dt v = d/dt (pi * r^2 * h)

can you help me?

Thanks in advance

So [tex] V = \pi r^{2}h [/tex]. Then [tex] \frac{dV}{dt} = 2\pi r \frac{dh}{dt} [/tex]. You have to eliminate one of the variables by using similar triangles. So [tex] \frac{r}{h} = \frac{x}{y} [/tex].

Last edited:
but then i won't be able to use dr/dt. Why would they give me dr/dt in the problem.

Whoops, it should be [tex] \frac{dV}{dt} = \pi r^{2} \frac{dh}{dt} + 2r\pi h \frac{dr}{dt} [/tex].

Last edited:
ok that makes sense... i just wanted to be sure i did it right because the answer is a big number. this is the question...

the question is:
The radius of a right circular cylinder is increasing at the rate of 6in/sec, while the height is decreasing at the rate of 8in/sec. at what rate is the volume of the cylinder changing when the radius is 13in and the height is 12 in.

so i used your help and plugged in the values

dv/dt = (3.14 * 13^2 * -8) + (2 * 13 * 3.14 * 12 * 6)
= 1633.6 in^3/sec

its kind of a big number but i guess it is normal for volume to increase at that rate.. i don't know... what do you think.

its correct

1. What is implicit differentiation?

Implicit differentiation is a method used in calculus to find the derivative of a function that is not explicitly defined in terms of one variable. It is commonly used when the function is represented as an equation with both independent and dependent variables.

2. When is implicit differentiation used?

Implicit differentiation is used when the given function cannot be easily solved for the dependent variable. It is also used when the function is too complex to be solved using other methods, such as the power rule or product rule.

3. What is the process of implicit differentiation?

The process of implicit differentiation involves taking the derivative of both sides of an equation with respect to the independent variable. This results in an equation with the derivative of the dependent variable on one side and the derivative of the independent variable on the other side.

4. Can implicit differentiation be used for all types of functions?

No, implicit differentiation can only be used for functions that are differentiable. This means that the function must have a continuous derivative at all points.

5. How is implicit differentiation different from explicit differentiation?

Explicit differentiation involves finding the derivative of a function that is explicitly defined in terms of one variable. Implicit differentiation, on the other hand, involves finding the derivative of a function that is not explicitly defined in terms of one variable.