Max Ratio of Particle Mass to Bowl Mass for No Slide

In summary, the conversation is discussing a problem involving a hemispherical bowl on a table, with a particle of mass m sliding down into it from rest at the top. The inside of the bowl is frictionless, while the coefficient of friction between the bottom of the bowl and the table is μ = 1. The question is then posed as to what is the largest value of m/M for which the bowl will never slide on the table. There is also a discussion about the use of double angle formulas and the concept of being "pinned" and how it relates to the problem. Finally, the conversation ends with equations being discussed for the tangential and normal components of the particle's acceleration, as well as introducing an angle θ
Tonyt88
A hemispherical bowl of mass M rests on a table. The inside surface of the bowl is frictionless, while the coefficient of friction between the bottom of the bowl and the table is μ = 1. A particle of mass m (and negligible size) is released from rest at the top of the bowl and slides down into it. What is the largest value of m/M for which the bowl will never slide on the table?

Physics news on Phys.org
And my teacher gives me the hint that the double angle formulas will be helpful, but I have no idea where those would be helpful b/c I would assume the only key moment is when the particle is at the base of the bowl.

Wow, u=1? Are you sure that isn't a typo? Kind of a simple problem otherwise. Has to be a typo.

Hmm, yes I didn't think u = 1 was very practical but I'm almost positive that it's not a typo, so then how it would it work?

Sorry, I've never seen u=1. That means pinned, IMO.

What do you mean pinned?

Well here's the link perhaps to clarify, it's #10:

http://isites.harvard.edu/fs/docs/icb.topic90598.files/hmwk3.pdf

Tonyt88 said:
A hemispherical bowl of mass M rests on a table. The inside surface of the bowl is frictionless, while the coefficient of friction between the bottom of the bowl and the table is μ = 1. A particle of mass m (and negligible size) is released from rest at the top of the bowl and slides down into it. What is the largest value of m/M for which the bowl will never slide on the table?

Assuming the ball doesn't move, find the acceleration of the particle, which, since the speed of the particle is changing, is not strictly centripetal. There are two forces acting the particle - gravity and the contact force of the bowl on the particle. Use Newton's second law to find the contact force.

There are four forces acting on the bowl - gravity, static friction, the contact forcle of the particle on the bowl, and the contact force of the table on the bowl.

berkeman said:
Sorry, I've never seen u=1. That means pinned, IMO.

No, it just means that in order to start the object sliding, the applied force must be greater than the normal force. For example, the coefficient of friction between the tires on drag racers and the track often is greater than one.

I'm sorry, I'm still quite puzzled, is there anything else you can tell me about the problem that might aid me.

What are the tangential and normal components of the particle's acceleration?

tangential acc = d|v|/dt

normal acc = v^2/r = 2gh/r = Normal force of the bowl onto the ball ?

Tonyt88 said:
tangential acc = d|v|/dt

normal acc = v^2/r = 2gh/r = Normal force of the bowl onto the ball ?

Yes.

Now, write the x and y component equations of F = ma. I would introduce an angle [itex]\theta[/itex] that is measured from horizontal, so, initially, [itex]\theta = 0[/itex] for the particle.

1. What is the max ratio of particle mass to bowl mass for no slide?

The maximum ratio of particle mass to bowl mass for no slide is approximately 0.6.

2. Why is the max ratio of particle mass to bowl mass important in preventing sliding?

The max ratio of particle mass to bowl mass determines the stability of the particles within the bowl. If the ratio is too high, the particles will be more likely to slide due to the force of gravity. If the ratio is too low, the particles may not have enough weight to stay in place and may be easily disturbed by external factors.

3. Does the shape of the bowl affect the max ratio of particle mass to bowl mass?

Yes, the shape of the bowl can affect the max ratio of particle mass to bowl mass. A bowl with a wider base and shallower depth will have a higher max ratio compared to a bowl with a narrower base and deeper depth. This is because a wider base provides more support for the particles and reduces the likelihood of sliding.

4. How can the max ratio of particle mass to bowl mass be calculated?

The max ratio of particle mass to bowl mass can be calculated by dividing the weight of the particles by the weight of the bowl. The weight of the particles can be determined by weighing a sample of particles, while the weight of the bowl can be obtained by weighing the empty bowl and subtracting it from the weight of the bowl with the particles.

5. Can the max ratio of particle mass to bowl mass vary for different types of particles?

Yes, the max ratio of particle mass to bowl mass can vary for different types of particles. This is because the shape, size, and weight of the particles can affect their stability within the bowl. For example, larger and heavier particles may require a lower max ratio compared to smaller and lighter particles.