Combinatorics - Binomial Theorem Questions

In summary, the conversation discusses two problems related to the binomial theorem. The first problem involves proving a relation using the binomial theorem, while the second problem involves using induction to prove a formula. The key to solving both problems is multiplying sums and then finding the relationship between the coefficients.
mattmns
There are a few questions that have been giving me trouble with this binomial theorem stuff.

(1). Using the binomial theorem and the relation [tex](1+x)^{m_1} (1+x)^{m_2} = (1+x)^{m_1 + m_2}[/tex]

prove that:

[tex]\sum_{k=0}^n \binom{m_1}{k} \binom{m_2}{n-k} = \binom{m_1 + m_2}{n}[/tex]

(2). Prove by induction on n that, for n a positive integer,

[tex]\frac{1}{(1-z)^n} = \sum_{k=0}^\infty \binom{n+k-1}{k}z^k, |z| < 1.[/tex]

Assume the validity of

[tex]\frac{1}{(1-z)} = \sum_{k=0}^\infty z^k, |z| < 1.[/tex]

-----------------------

For (1). This is very easy to prove using a combinatorial argument, but I am just not seeing how I can prove it with the binomial theorem. I have been pluggin them in getting the sums, but nothing is clicking. This problem may be similar to the problem with the other problem (mixing of sums?)

For (2). The base case is obvious, practically assumed. But I am not sure where to go with the following:

After some basic maniuplation I get:

[tex]\frac{1}{(1-z)^{n+1}} = \left(\sum_{k=0}^\infty \binom{n+k-1}{k}z^k\right)\left(\sum_{1=0}^\infty z^i \right)[/tex]

Can I mix these two together somehow?

My goal is to get the above equation equal to [tex]\sum_{k=0}^\infty \binom{n+k}{k}z^k\right)\left[/tex]

Any hints or ideas on either of the problems? Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
In both cases you have to multiply sums. If you multiply two polynomials, you get another polynomial:

[tex]\sum \limits_{k=0}^{m_1} a_kx^k\cdot\sum \limits_{k=0}^{m_2} b_kx^k=\sum \limits_{k=0}^{m_1+m_2} c_kx^k[/tex]
First find out how c_k is related to the coefficients a_i and b_i. After that, it's plug and play for both exercises.

1. What is the binomial theorem?

The binomial theorem is a mathematical formula that allows for the expansion of binomials, or expressions with two terms, raised to a positive integer power. It is given by the equation (a + b)^n = ∑(n choose k) a^(n-k) b^k, where n is the power, a and b are the two terms, and k ranges from 0 to n.

2. What is the purpose of the binomial theorem?

The binomial theorem is used to simplify and expand binomial expressions, making it easier to solve problems involving binomials. It also allows for the calculation of binomial coefficients, which have many applications in combinatorics and probability theory.

3. How do you use the binomial theorem?

To use the binomial theorem, you first identify the values of n, a, and b in the expression (a + b)^n. Then, you use the formula (n choose k) a^(n-k) b^k to calculate the coefficients for each term in the expanded expression. Finally, you combine like terms to simplify the expression.

4. What is the difference between combinations and permutations?

In combinatorics, combinations are different ways to select a subset of objects from a larger set without regard to order, while permutations are different ways to arrange a set of objects in a specific order. For example, selecting three fruits from a basket of five would be a combination, while arranging three fruits in a specific order on a plate would be a permutation.

5. How is the binomial theorem related to Pascal's triangle?

Pascal's triangle is a graphical representation of the coefficients in the expansion of binomial expressions. Each row in the triangle corresponds to the coefficients of a specific power of the binomial, and the coefficients can be calculated using combinations. The binomial theorem is essentially a generalization of Pascal's triangle for any positive integer power.