Connecting 6 * 3mm/5mm LEDs with 3V Supply

In summary, the conversation revolves around using different sizes of LEDs and battery options for a guitar modification project. The main question is whether to use 3mm or 5mm LEDs and what type of batteries would be suitable for powering 6 LEDs in parallel. The conversation also discusses the difference in amp-hour rating between AA and AAA batteries and how different battery chemistries are better for different loads. It is suggested to consult the datasheets of the batteries and LEDs for more accurate information.
peejake
Hey guys,

I have a question regarding connecting up 6 * 3mm/5mm super bright mcd Led's in parallel (since they would all have the same forward voltage when wired this way), using a supply voltage of 3V but not sure whether is should be 2*1.5V AAA or 2 * 1.5V AA batteries.

The reason i put these in red is because I am not sure which of the LEd's(3mm or 5mm) would last longer with the either of the power supplied (AAA or AA)? Its obvious that the 5mm would consume more power but just thought ill ask to clear my question.

Any help would be appreciated thanks:cool:

Jake

Engineering news on Phys.org
What is the amp-hour rating of alkaline AA batteries versus AAA batteries?

The problem is not just Amp-Hour to Amps Drawn.
You start with the current draw of the circuit and datasheets for the batteries you intend to use.
The battery datasheets will have a set of curves showing life against discharge currents as a ratio of the ideal discharge current "C"
Different battery chemistries are better for different loads. People often put expensive high energy batteries in clocks thinking they will last longer, but clocks have very low current draw more suited to the budget batteries that run dry in 30 seconds of use in a radio.
Saying that, if you are using batteries of the same chemistry and manufacturer "AA" will always out last "AAA".

P.S. Another way of getting brighter looking LEDs is to use less LEDS but pulse them over their rated input. So long as the average power follows the derating curve in the data sheets you can drive LEDs much harder and hence brighter than constant illumination using less average power.

berkeman said:
What is the amp-hour rating of alkaline AA batteries versus AAA batteries?

I have no idea but i would like to know:grumpy:

Panda said:
The problem is not just Amp-Hour to Amps Drawn.
You start with the current draw of the circuit and datasheets for the batteries you intend to use.
The battery datasheets will have a set of curves showing life against discharge currents as a ratio of the ideal discharge current "C"
Different battery chemistries are better for different loads. People often put expensive high energy batteries in clocks thinking they will last longer, but clocks have very low current draw more suited to the budget batteries that run dry in 30 seconds of use in a radio.
Saying that, if you are using batteries of the same chemistry and manufacturer "AA" will always out last "AAA".

P.S. Another way of getting brighter looking LEDs is to use less LEDS but pulse them over their rated input. So long as the average power follows the derating curve in the data sheets you can drive LEDs much harder and hence brighter than constant illumination using less average power.

Hey Panda,
Thanks for replying,
The idea is to use 6 * 3mm/5mm super bright LEDs to put on my guitar pickups in place of the actual pickup. you see that there are 6 magnetic nuts one for each string. I am removing those and putting LED's there. So i was wondering if its better to use 3mm or 5mm LED's? Also what batteries to use assuming that each LED consumes 20ma? :cool:

I'm thinking your guitar won't work any more, if you do that.

The size 3 or 5 would depend on how big the screw holes are. Pick the one that fits best.

You can look up the power for different size battries.
Sometimes its printed on the battry itself.

NoTime said:
I'm thinking your guitar won't work any more, if you do that.

The size 3 or 5 would depend on how big the screw holes are. Pick the one that fits best.

You can look up the power for different size battries.
Sometimes its printed on the battry itself.

Hey NoTime,

I completely know what I am doing, the guitar won't work for that particular pickup only which i hardly use to out it goes and in comes the LED's. I have picked 5mm as the screw holes are 5mm themselves.
Here are the specs:

White LED 17000mcd 5mm
SPECIFICATIONS:
SOURCE MATERIAL:InGaN
EMITTING COLOUR:White
LENS TYPE:WATER CLEAR
LUMINOUS INTENSITY-MCD:15000 TYPICAL17000MAX
REVERSE VOLTAGE:5.0 V
DC FORWARD VOLTAGE:3.3V TYPICAL/3.5V MAX
DC FORWARD CURRENT:20mA
VIEWING ANGLE:15 degrees
LEAD SOLDERING TEMP:260oC for 5 seconds

Im planning to use 6 of these LED's in parallel using a voltage supply of 2AAA 1.5 V batteries. Will this be enough voltage to light up these LED's fully and roughly how long will it take till these batteries die out??

Thanks
Jake

peejake said:
DC FORWARD VOLTAGE:3.3V TYPICAL/3.5V MAX
2AAA 1.5 V batteries. Will this be enough voltage to light up these LED's fully and roughly how long will it take till these batteries die out??
2 * 1.5v = 3v
That is less than the required 3.3v to 3.5v.

Wont it still work though, although not to its full capacity??:uhh:

Not in the general case. If you are below the forward voltage, you generally don't get any light out.

1. How many LEDs can be connected to a 3V supply?

The number of LEDs that can be connected to a 3V supply depends on the forward voltage and current rating of the LEDs. For 6 * 3mm/5mm LEDs, assuming a forward voltage of 2V and a current rating of 20mA, a maximum of 3 LEDs can be connected in series to a 3V supply.

2. Can I connect the LEDs in parallel?

Yes, the LEDs can be connected in parallel as long as each parallel branch has its own current limiting resistor. This ensures that each LED receives the appropriate amount of current and prevents overloading the power supply.

3. What type of resistor should be used to connect the LEDs?

A standard 1/4 or 1/8 watt resistor is suitable for connecting LEDs to a 3V supply. The resistance value should be calculated using Ohm's law, taking into account the forward voltage and current rating of the LEDs.

4. Can I use a higher voltage supply?

It is not recommended to use a higher voltage supply than the forward voltage of the LEDs. This can cause the LEDs to overheat and burn out. However, if a higher voltage supply is necessary, a resistor can be used in series to limit the current and prevent damage to the LEDs.

5. How do I ensure the LEDs are connected correctly?

Always refer to the datasheet of the LEDs for proper pinout and polarity. The anode (positive) terminal of the LED should be connected to the positive terminal of the power supply, and the cathode (negative) terminal should be connected to the negative terminal of the power supply. Using a multimeter to test the connections can also ensure that the LEDs are connected correctly.