What is Taking Up Space on My Hard Drive?

In summary, based on the information you have provided, it seems that you may have files and folders taking up space on your hard drive which you don't know what they are or what they are used for. You can try looking through the files and folders on your hard drive to see if you can find what is using up the space, or you can try deleting some of the files to free up space.
feelau
Hi, so recently I bought an external hard drive and started transferring my data into that to get more space in my internal one. I then noticed that I've used up almost 50% of my c drive but I don't know what it's used for and don't see anything that would use up this much memory. Is there any way to find and tell me what these programs/files are so I can transfer/remove them? Thanks

Computer science news on Phys.org
I then noticed that I've used up almost 50% of my c drive but I don't know what it's used for and don't see anything that would use up this much memory.

Conventionally, drive space isn't referred to as 'memory' although it is abstractly similar, but of course, matter is abstractly similar to memory so we do make distinctions.

You will have to look through the folders on c: to see what is using the space. You'll probably find that most space goes to c:/pagefile.sys and your 'Program Files' and 'Windows' folders.

The problem is I can't identify which ones i should look at

sry for double posting but I read online that deleting the files and emptying the recycling bin doesn't really help so what do I do to find the files I've already deleted as well as permanently wiping all the useless stuff out?

EDIT: So I clicked on properties to see how much space each file uses up and I only total up to 10gb of space on disk so i have no idea where 14 other gb of disk space went :(

Last edited:
There is a useful freeware application called TreeSize
http://www.jam-software.com/software.html
which shows the usage in various subfolders.

Do you have hidden files and folders?
You might have large files in various temp or browser-cache folders.

Go to control panel ->administrative tools->computer management to find out what is going on with the drive.

I'm starting to go back up to 72% now, I thought deleting would help increase performance and make my comp run more smoothly, but it seems it's getting even slower now, what's going on?

EDIT: Another question, what is avanquest, i have it as a file and i don't know what it is. Can I delete it? oh and I downloaded treesize and did the wasted space tab and it showed me all these files and kb(assumed to be the wasted stuff) The thing is I have no idea what the files do. I mean there's something call pchealth and another one call inf and they each take up like 31,000kb of wasted space and then there's another file call $hf_mig$ and it takes like 27,000 kb of wasted space but i don't know what they are...

EDIT: I've been looking at computer management but I don't know what to do

Last edited:
deleting files won't make it run any faster, you can try disk defrag

What causes a hard drive to malfunction?

There are several reasons that a hard drive may malfunction, including physical damage, software errors, and viruses. Additionally, if a hard drive is old or has been used frequently, it may wear out over time.

How can I retrieve data from a damaged hard drive?

Data retrieval from a damaged hard drive can be difficult, but not impossible. It is best to seek the help of a professional data recovery service, as they have the necessary tools and expertise to retrieve data from damaged hard drives.

Can I fix a hard drive on my own?

In some cases, it may be possible to fix a hard drive on your own, but it is not recommended unless you have experience and knowledge in this area. Attempting to fix a hard drive without proper knowledge can lead to further damage and data loss.

How can I prevent hard drive issues?

The best way to prevent hard drive issues is to regularly back up your data. This way, if your hard drive does malfunction, you will still have a copy of your important files. It is also important to handle your hard drive carefully and protect it from physical damage.

What should I do if my computer does not recognize my hard drive?

If your computer does not recognize your hard drive, it could be due to a number of reasons including loose connections, outdated drivers, or a malfunctioning hard drive. Try checking the connections and updating your drivers first, and if that does not work, seek the help of a professional.