Transmission Line Discharging:

In summary, the conversation discusses the behavior of a lossless transmission line with a resistor load and an input step. The source resistance is zero and the system has reached steady state. The question is raised about what happens when the source is switched off, and there is some confusion about whether this results in an open or short circuit. The formula for calculating the initial positive direction voltage is given, but there is doubt about its correctness. The conversation concludes by discussing different scenarios and the importance of clearly defining the problem.
seang
I'm looking at a lossless transmission line where the load is a resistor, and the input is a step. The source resistance is zero, and the system has reached steady state.

So in this case, what happens when the source is switched off? You'd have the resistor on the right, and to the left of the t-line, an open circuit. Isn't this the same as a source resistance of infinity?

So to obtain the initial, positive direction voltage, I'd say:

V = (V(steady) * R (characteristic) / (R (source) + R (characteristic))

[tex]
V^+ = \frac{V_o * R_0}{R_s + R_0}
[/tex]

which equals 0. I doubt this is correct, but I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

Could I maybe?

[tex]
V^+ = \frac{V_o * R_0}{R_L + R_0}
[/tex]

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
This is a hard question, at least as stated. Are you saying that the IC is that there is a Vo source with Rs=0, the system is settled, and then you open circuit the source?

Yes sir. I think anyway. I'll attach some pictures later today

If you switch off the source at t=0, the result is not an open circuit: it is a short circuit! Turning off the source voltage is equivalent to setting the voltage across it to zero, which is the same as a short circuit. If you'd like, you can think about it as adding another voltage signal opposite to the original one.

I think you're incorrect. The source is 'turned off' via a switch, which forms the open circuit right? The source doesn't go to zero; I think that's what you had in mind.

seang said:
I think you're incorrect. The source is 'turned off' via a switch, which forms the open circuit right? The source doesn't go to zero; I think that's what you had in mind.

Well, as Manchot says, turning off a real power supply and leaving it connected does ramp the output voltage down to zero (slowly usually because of all the output capacitance in the power supply). On the other hand, you can open circuit the connection between the power supply and the transmission line with an in-line switch. It's important to define exactly what you are doing in this problem.

1. What is transmission line discharging?

Transmission line discharging refers to the process of releasing electrical energy from a transmission line when it is no longer needed to power a device. This can occur when a device is turned off or when there is a surge or interruption in the power supply.

2. How does transmission line discharging work?

Transmission line discharging works by redirecting the electrical energy in the transmission line to a grounding point or dissipating it as heat through resistors. This prevents the electrical energy from causing damage to the device or causing disruptions in the power supply.

3. Why is transmission line discharging necessary?

Transmission line discharging is necessary to protect devices and the power grid from damage caused by excessive electrical energy. It also helps to maintain a stable and reliable power supply by preventing surges and disruptions.

4. What are some common methods of transmission line discharging?

Some common methods of transmission line discharging include using surge protectors, voltage regulators, and inductors. These devices help to redirect or dissipate the excess electrical energy in the transmission line to protect devices and the power grid.

5. Can transmission line discharging be harmful?

In most cases, transmission line discharging is not harmful and is necessary for maintaining a safe and reliable power supply. However, improper discharging or a malfunction in the discharging system can cause damage to devices or the power grid, so it is important to use proper methods and equipment for discharging.