Equivalence relation proof

In summary, the statement "If b is in the equivalence class of a, denoted [[a]] then [[a]]=[[b]]. " is true if and only if b is an equivalence relation.
quasar_4

Homework Statement

Prove the following statement:
Let R be an equivalence relation on set A. If b is in the equivalence class of a, denoted [[a]] then [[a]]=[].

Homework Equations

[[a]], [[a]]=[]; definition of equivalence: a relation R on a set A that is reflexive, symmetric and transitive is an equivalence relation.

The Attempt at a Solution

Consider an element b in set {x in S| x R a} denoted by the equivalence relation [[a]]. If b is in this set, it is an element of the equivalence class. It follows that if b is an element of [[a]], then it must be an equivalence relation and is reflexive such that [[a]] R b. It is also symmetric, such that [[a]] R b = b R [[a]], and transitive such that for any c in [[a]], if [[a]] R b and b R c then [[a]] R c. Thus, b is also an equivalence relation and the set {x in S|x R b} may be denoted by []. Hence, [[a]] = [].

I'm not sure if I was on track here or not. I feel as if I went in a circle without actually proving anything. I'm not sure exactely what else to do, but I thought maybe to show they are equal, I have to express the sets as equal somehow. Or would I go about it by saying that [[a]] = [] if a = b? Any critique of this proof is highly welcome -- I'm pretty new at this whole thing. :redface:

Physics news on Phys.org
You can't write [[a]]Rb. The left hand side is an equivalence class, and the RHS is an element. ?R? only makes sense if both sides are in S. You also at one point say that b is an element of S and b is an equivalence relation.

To show that []=[[a]] or indeed any set eqaulity all you need to do is demonstrate that if x is [] it is in [[a]], and if y is in [[a]] it is in []. These are immediate from the definitions, and the hypothesis that b is in [[a]]. For we want to take x in [], i.e. xRb, and show that this implies x is in [[a]], i.e. that xRa. So, if xRb, and bRa, then does xRa?

quasar_4 said:

Homework Statement

Prove the following statement:
Let R be an equivalence relation on set A. If b is in the equivalence class of a, denoted [[a]] then [[a]]=[].

Homework Equations

[[a]], [[a]]=[]; definition of equivalence: a relation R on a set A that is reflexive, symmetric and transitive is an equivalence relation.

The Attempt at a Solution

Consider an element b in set {x in S| x R a} denoted by the equivalence relation [[a]]. If b is in this set, it is an element of the equivalence class. It follows that if b is an element of [[a]], then it must be an equivalence relation and is reflexive such that [[a]] R b.

You mean a R b.

It is also symmetric, such that [[a]] R b = b R [[a]], and transitive such that for any c in [[a]], if [[a]] R b and b R c then [[a]] R c.
Again, no. [[a]] is a subset of A, not a member. You mean: if a R b and b R c, then a R c.

Thus, b is also an equivalence relation and the set {x in S|x R b} may be denoted by []. Hence, [[a]] = [].

No, b is definitely NOT an equivalence relation! b is a member of set A and an equivalence relation is a subset of Rx R.

[/quote]I'm not sure if I was on track here or not. I feel as if I went in a circle without actually proving anything. I'm not sure exactely what else to do, but I thought maybe to show they are equal, I have to express the sets as equal somehow. Or would I go about it by saying that [[a]] = [] if a = b? Any critique of this proof is highly welcome -- I'm pretty new at this whole thing. :redface:[/QUOTE]

You want to show that [[a]]= [] which means you want to show two sets are equal. You do that by showing any member of one is a member of the other. If c is in [[a]], then c R a. Since you are told that b is in [[a]], b R a also. What does that tell you about c and b? Going the other way, while you were told that b is in [[a]], you are NOT told directly that a is in []. You will have to prove that.

1. What is an equivalence relation?

An equivalence relation is a relation between two objects that satisfies three properties: reflexivity, symmetry, and transitivity. Reflexivity means that an object is always equivalent to itself. Symmetry means that if one object is equivalent to another, then the other is also equivalent to the first. Transitivity means that if one object is equivalent to a second, and the second is equivalent to a third, then the first is also equivalent to the third.

2. How do you prove that a relation is an equivalence relation?

To prove that a relation is an equivalence relation, you must show that it satisfies the three properties of reflexivity, symmetry, and transitivity. This can be done by providing specific examples that demonstrate each property or by using logical arguments to show that the properties hold for all possible cases.

3. What is the role of equivalence relations in mathematics?

Equivalence relations are an important concept in mathematics as they help to define and understand the relationships between different objects or sets. They are used in a variety of mathematical fields, including algebra, geometry, and set theory, and are particularly useful in proving theorems and solving problems.

4. Can you give an example of an equivalence relation?

One example of an equivalence relation is the relation of equality. If we consider the set of all positive integers, the relation of equality satisfies all three properties of an equivalence relation. For instance, the number 5 is always equal to itself (reflexivity), if 5 is equal to 3, then 3 is also equal to 5 (symmetry), and if 5 is equal to 3, and 3 is equal to 1, then 5 is also equal to 1 (transitivity).

5. How are equivalence relations related to equivalence classes?

Equivalence classes are a way of grouping together objects that are equivalent according to a given equivalence relation. Each equivalence class contains all the objects that are equivalent to one another, and together, they form a partition of the original set. Equivalence relations are used to define the criteria for determining which objects belong to the same equivalence class, and they provide a way of organizing and understanding the underlying structure of a set.