Language/linguistics forum @ PF?

• Lingusitics
  • Thread starter Spirit
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Forum
In summary, there was a discussion about adding a forum for languages and linguistics on the PF main page. Some members expressed interest in this idea, noting the connection between linguistics and computer science and the potential for interesting debates. However, one member pointed out that there is already a subforum for languages on the forum for social sciences. It was suggested that a separate subforum dedicated solely to languages and linguistics may be beneficial for easier navigation and organization of related threads.
Spirit
Hey allz,

A question regarding languages sparked in my mind while my browser was on PF main page. I just realized that we almost cover every main field of academics here to some extend while languages/linguistics are not here at all.

Do you think its a good idea if we add a forum about these fields?

thx,

Science news on Phys.org
Yes! Especially in its connection to computer science. Formal languages is an interesting subject. So is the study of natural languages. I vote for a forum on linguistics for whatever that is worth.

I come to this forum as a refuge from language... But it would be fun to debate the various parts of grammar on here though.

Spirit said:
I just realized that we almost cover every main field of academics here to some extend while languages/linguistics are not here at all.
Not true. Read the subtitle under Social Sciences.

Besides, forums are created only on the basis of a clearly demonstrated need and a sufficient level of participation (among others) under a more general subforum.

Last edited:
Thx Gokul43201,

I see. I went there and saw threads about language/linguistics shattered between the main forum and the subforum there.

I think its a good idea if we add a specific subforum there for languages/linguistics. It wil make it easier to spot, and much easier to keep track of the threads.

1. What is the purpose of the language/linguistics forum at PF?

The language/linguistics forum at PF is a space for discussing all topics related to language and linguistics. It is intended for people who are interested in the study of language, whether they are beginners or experts in the field. This forum provides a platform for exchanging ideas, asking questions, and learning from others.

2. Are there any rules or guidelines for participating in the language/linguistics forum at PF?

Yes, there are rules and guidelines that all members must follow in order to maintain a respectful and productive environment. These include being respectful to other members, avoiding personal attacks, and staying on topic. Please make sure to read and adhere to these guidelines before participating in discussions.

3. Can I ask questions about any language or linguistic topic in this forum?

Yes, you can ask questions about any language or linguistic topic in this forum. The forum is open to discussing all languages and linguistic theories, from the most commonly spoken languages to lesser-known languages and dialects. Feel free to ask any questions you have and share your knowledge with others.

4. Is the language/linguistics forum at PF only for academic discussions?

No, the language/linguistics forum at PF is not exclusively for academic discussions. While it is a great place to discuss and learn about linguistic theories and research, the forum also welcomes discussions about language learning, cultural aspects of language, and other related topics. We encourage a diverse range of discussions and perspectives.

5. How can I contribute to the language/linguistics forum at PF?

There are several ways to contribute to the language/linguistics forum at PF. You can share your knowledge and expertise by answering questions, participating in discussions, and providing helpful resources. You can also ask questions, share interesting articles or news related to language, and engage in respectful debates. Your contributions help to create a vibrant and informative community for language enthusiasts.