DC-AC inverters and wall outlets

• Thread starter Sedmic
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wall
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of DC-to-AC inverters and the potential dangers of connecting them to a power source and the wall. The group also mentions the concept of cogeneration and the need for specialized equipment to feed power back onto the grid.
Sedmic
I was wondering if anyone could provide me with more information regarding DC-to-AC inverters. Specifically, I'm wondering what stops me from hooking up a power source (i.e. lead acid battery, small solar panel, etc) to an inverter and discharging it into the wall. I know that grid-tie systems exist for applications such as solar power. If the inverter can reliably convert to 120 VAC at 50-60 Hz with a modified sine wave output, is there any danger to simply plug this into the wall? Would a pure sine wave inverter be better for this purpose? Alternatively, if you know of some good websites or other sources that can explain this concept to me, I'd love to know.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Well, if you are disconnected from the power grid (you've shut off the main breaker for power entry into your house), and your power source and inverter have enough power to power whatever is turned on at the moment in your house, then yes, you could just plug the inverter output into the wall. That's how you power your home with a generator when the power fails, for example (after carefully shutting off the main breaker and preferably locking it out).

But you can't do that without shutting off the main power entry breaker to your home. The phase angle of your inverter will not match the phase of the AC mains source power from the street, and the inverter will pop.

You may be interested in the concept of "cogeneration", where you have some power source at your home (like a running stream, or solar panels, or a big windmill), and want to sell power to the grid. Here's some intro reading on that subject:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cogeneration

Berkeman's got it. If you want to feed power back onto the grid, you need equipment that will match the phase of your sine wave with the phase of the sine wave on the grid. Also, you'll need a meter that's capable of measuing your output current (I'm not sure if standard meters can do this or not, actually).

- Warren

What is a DC-AC inverter?

A DC-AC inverter is an electronic device that converts direct current (DC) electricity into alternating current (AC) electricity. This allows devices that require AC power to be powered by a DC power source, such as a car battery.

How does a DC-AC inverter work?

A DC-AC inverter works by using electronic components, such as transistors, to switch the direction of current flow in a circuit. This creates an alternating current, which is then converted to the desired voltage and frequency for use in powering AC devices.

What are the common uses of a DC-AC inverter?

DC-AC inverters are commonly used in vehicles, such as cars, boats, and RVs, to power AC devices such as laptops, TVs, and phone chargers. They are also used in solar power systems to convert the DC electricity produced by solar panels into usable AC electricity for household appliances.

What is the difference between a modified sine wave and pure sine wave inverter?

A modified sine wave inverter produces an output that mimics a sine wave, but with a "stepped" or choppy waveform. This can cause issues with certain devices, such as sensitive electronics. A pure sine wave inverter produces a smooth, continuous wave that is more similar to the AC power from wall outlets, making it more suitable for powering a wider range of devices.

Can I plug a DC-AC inverter into a wall outlet?

No, you should not plug a DC-AC inverter into a wall outlet. Wall outlets provide AC power, so there is no need for an inverter. Plugging an inverter into a wall outlet can cause damage to the inverter and potentially cause a fire. Always follow the manufacturer's instructions for proper use and connection of a DC-AC inverter.