Electric Generator - work on lightbulb, but not on motor, why?

In summary, the person has created an electric generator using three motors and a spinning wheel, which can generate 3 volts per motor or 7.5 volts when connected in series. Connecting a motor output to a flashlight or electric shaver works, but connecting it to another R/C car motor does not. The person suspects it may be due to insufficient current and asks for a solution. The suggested solution is to use a bridge rectifier circuit to convert AC to DC.
spongebob

Homework Statement

Hi,

I made a eletric generator by connecting 3 motors (R/C car motor) to a spinning wheel. Each motor can generate approx 3 volts, it can generate approx 7.5 volt when I connected them in series.

When I connect a motor output (approx 3 volt) to a flashlight light bulb, it works perfectly. I also try to connect to my electrical shaver and the shaver motor spin as well. However, when I try to connect to another R/C car motor (the load), it doesn't move at all. I've tried to connect a 1.5v AA battery to the load and it spin perfectly.

Does anyone know why? My friend told me that the eletric generator may not generate enough current... Is that true? If yes, how to solve the problem. If not, what will be the problem and what is the solution?

Homework Equations

V = I * R

The Attempt at a Solution

I measured the resistance of the motor and it is 0.

I've tried to connect those 3 motors to boost the voltage to 7.5 volt but the R/C motor (load) didn't move a bit. :(

I am really stuck. :frown:

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, I am guessing that the motors need DC current to work. What you're producing is AC current, and hence, your motor doesn't work. When you connect it across a battery, you get DC and not AC current.

If you want to convert AC to DC, you might want to make a bridge rectifier circuit. There is a thread on it in the Electrical Engineering section of this forum.

1. How does an electric generator work?

An electric generator works by converting mechanical energy into electrical energy. This is done by rotating a coil of wire within a magnetic field, which induces an electric current in the wire. The current produced can then be used to power electrical devices such as lightbulbs.

2. Why does an electric generator work on a lightbulb, but not on a motor?

An electric generator works on a lightbulb because the bulb simply requires an electrical current to produce light. However, a motor requires both an electrical current and a magnetic field to operate, so simply rotating a coil of wire will not be enough to power it.

3. Can an electric generator be used to power any type of electrical device?

No, an electric generator can only power devices that require an electrical current to operate. Devices that also require a magnetic field, such as motors, cannot be powered solely by an electric generator.

4. What factors affect the efficiency of an electric generator?

The efficiency of an electric generator can be affected by factors such as the strength of the magnetic field, the speed of rotation of the coil, and the resistance of the wire in the coil. Other external factors such as temperature and friction can also impact the efficiency of the generator.

5. Are there different types of electric generators?

Yes, there are several different types of electric generators, including AC generators, DC generators, and permanent magnet generators. Each type operates slightly differently and is used for different purposes.