Applying to grad school, how do i look?

In summary, the individual is considering applying to a grad school in atmospheric science or GIS with a current GPA of 3.22. They have taken the General GRE and received a 620 in math and 460 in verbal. Their professor believes they have a good chance of being accepted and their GPA may increase due to fewer general education classes. They are unsure if they should retake the GRE, but have a temporary employment opportunity with the national weather service. They are not aiming for prestigious programs and have some research experience and internships. While fellowships may be unlikely, it is still possible for them to be accepted into a program. They have received advice to closely examine the criteria of the schools they are applying to and consider retaking the
badtwistoffate
Apply to a grad school (not physics, but atmospheric science or GIS) and my GPA as of now is 3.22. Took the General GRE and got a 620 math, 460 verbal :-/...
Talk to my prof he thinks I should be able to. My GPA should Inc. due to less gen ed classes I have to take. But I don't know if I should take the GRE again. Kinda don't want to as I rather put forth that effort towards a better GPA this semester to increase that more.

Also I got a temp. employment with the national weather service so I hope that will help.

Your thoughts? I am not planning to apply to world renowned programs but more so realistic and smaller programs.

Physics news on Phys.org
badtwistoffate said:
Apply to a grad school (not physics, but atmospheric science or GIS) and my GPA as of now is 3.22. Took the General GRE and got a 620 math, 460 verbal :-/...
Talk to my prof he thinks I should be able to. My GPA should Inc. due to less gen ed classes I have to take. But I don't know if I should take the GRE again. Kinda don't want to as I rather put forth that effort towards a better GPA this semester to increase that more.

Also I got a temp. employment with the national weather service so I hope that will help.

Your thoughts? I am not planning to apply to world renowned programs but more so realistic and smaller programs.

I will be honest with you.

As your professor says, it definitely is possible for the programs you mentioned. Grad schools also look for your research experience, internships (and interviews, if available) so if you've had some experience in those areas, that improves your chance.

I don't think you should expect any fellowships. It will be hard for you to receive any, especially if you are a master student.

GRE doesn't play as big as GPA when it comes to admission to those programs, but if you believe that you are able to score higher provided you retake the test, I would strongly recommend retaking the GRE.

Examine closely to the school you are applying to, analyze what their criteria is. But as for your question, I would say it is still possible to get into one.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you should be ok. I had similar GPA (3.29) and GRE (690/450) and got into my program just fine. Went from Physics undergrad to ME graduate. Funding will depend largely on the school you choose and the size of the department. I managed to get a full GA funding my first year.

Last edited:

1. How important is my GPA when applying to grad school?

Your GPA is an important factor in the grad school application process, but it is not the only factor. Admissions committees also consider your research experience, letters of recommendation, personal statement, and other qualifications. If your GPA is not as high as you would like, you can highlight your strengths in other areas to make your application more competitive.

2. Should I apply to multiple grad schools?

It is generally recommended to apply to multiple grad schools, especially if you have a specific research interest or are looking to attend a top-ranked program. This will increase your chances of being accepted and give you the opportunity to compare offers and make the best decision for your academic and career goals.

3. How important are letters of recommendation in the application process?

Letters of recommendation are very important in the grad school application process, as they provide insight into your academic abilities, research experience, and potential for success in graduate studies. It is important to choose recommenders who know you well and can speak to your strengths and qualifications.

4. What should I include in my personal statement?

Your personal statement should highlight your academic and research background, your interest in the program, and your future goals. It is also a good idea to mention any relevant skills or experiences that make you a strong candidate for the program. Make sure to tailor your personal statement to each specific program you are applying to.

5. How early should I start preparing for grad school applications?

It is recommended to start preparing for grad school applications at least 1 year in advance. This will give you enough time to research programs, study for any required exams (such as the GRE), gather materials (transcripts, letters of recommendation, etc.), and write a strong personal statement. Starting early will also reduce stress and give you time to make any necessary improvements to your application.