Braille code probabilities homework

In summary, each symbol in braille code is represented by a rectangular arrangement of six dots. Given that a least 1 dot of the 6 must be raised, how many symbols can be represented in brail? 63. Additionally, think of "raised" as "included in a subset," and "flat" as "not included in a subset." Then "all flat" is the empty set. Number of subsets = 2^6 (including empty set). How many combinations with exactly 3 raised = number of subsets with 3 elements. How many with even raised = number of subsets with 2 or 4 or 6 elements. so 2^6 is a? (-1 for original case where non are raised?) then for b
roadrunner
Hello everyone im' stuck on this problem.

It says:
Each symbol in braille code is represened by a rectangular arrangement of six dots. Given that a least 1 dot of the 6 must be raised, how many symbols can be represented in brail?

now i saw this posted somewhere else, they got 63. don't know how.

i got 63 two ways...

2^6-1 (case where all down)=63

6c1+6c2+6c3+6c4+6c5+6c6 -1 also =63 (where 6c3 etc is combinations...6 options choose 3)

can sumone explain how/why that works please.

also part b...how many combinations have EXACTLY 3 raised

and how many have an even number of raised dots

(this is for math and computer science course so not TOO sure which to post it in thanks)

Physics news on Phys.org
Think of "raised " as "included in a subset," and "flat" as "not included in a subset." Then "all flat" is the empty set. Number of subsets = 2^6 (including empty set).

How many combinations with exactly 3 raised = number of subsets with 3 elements.

How many with even raised = number of subsets with 2 or 4 or 6 elements.

so 2^6 is a? (-1 for original case where non are raised?)

then for b...2^3...so 8?
or do i need to figure out how many have more or less than 3 an subtract it?

The latter. Figure out how many have 0,1 and 2 raised and subtract the total from 2^6.

Another way of getting that answer is to argue that each of the 6 dots can be raised or not- a total of 6 "raised" or "not raised" choices. By the counting principal, there would be a total of 26= 64 possiblities. That of course includes "none raised" which is not allowed so there are 64- 1= 63 allowed. That is the same as your sum of binomial coefficients because you are now arguing that it is "number with exactly one dot raised"+ "number with exactly two dots" raised"+ etc. "The number of 6 dots with exactly n raised" is the same as "how many ways can I choose n out of the 6 dots to raise": 6Cn. And, of course, that is 26- 1 because you did not include 6C1= 1. These are binomial coefficients- the coefficients in the expansion of (x+ y)6. The sum of the coefficients is that with x=y= 1: (1+1)6= 26 (and again leaving out the first subtracts 1 from the whole thing).

As both Enuma Elish and Dick have said- to get "how many have at least three dots raised" Calculate 6C1 and 6C2 (which you may already have done it you calculated that sum of binomial coefficients directly) and subtract from the 63 you already had. (Dick included 6C0 and told you to subtract from 64. Same thing of course.)

Last edited by a moderator:
I have just realized that the OP is an exact replica of the OP in another thread in this forum, created simultaneously with this one.

1. What is Braille code and why is it used?

Braille code is a writing system that uses raised dots to represent letters, numbers, and punctuation marks for individuals who are blind or visually impaired. It is used to provide a means of reading and writing for those with visual impairments.

2. How is Braille code assigned to letters and numbers?

Braille code uses a six-dot cell to represent letters, numbers, and punctuation marks. Each dot within the cell is numbered from 1 to 6, with dot 1 being the top left dot and dot 6 being the bottom right dot. Different combinations of dots are used to represent different characters.

3. What are the chances of correctly guessing a Braille code letter?

The chances of correctly guessing a Braille code letter are 1 in 63, as there are 63 possible combinations of dots within the six-dot cell. However, with practice and knowledge of the Braille code, it becomes easier to recognize and interpret the characters.

4. Are there any variations of Braille code?

Yes, there are several variations of Braille code, including Grade 1 and Grade 2 Braille. Grade 1 Braille is a one-to-one representation of printed text, while Grade 2 Braille includes contractions and shortenings to make reading and writing more efficient.

5. How can I improve my understanding and proficiency in Braille code?

The best way to improve your understanding and proficiency in Braille code is through practice and exposure. There are also resources available, such as Braille textbooks and online courses, to help you learn and improve your skills in Braille code.