2 masses connected by a pulley

• Thread starter sheri1987
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pulley
In summary, the discussion is about solving a problem involving two masses connected by a string and a pulley. The equations for the horizontal and vertical forces on the masses are given, but the attempt at solving the problem is not working out. The questioner is seeking suggestions and clarification on the coefficients of friction and the value of T.
sheri1987

Homework Statement

Mass m1=28.1 kg is on a horizontal surface, connected to mass m2= 6.70 kg by a light string as shown. The pulley has negligible mass and no friction. A force of 231.3 N acts on m1 at an angle of 29.5o.

Homework Equations

I can't seem to get the correct answer for this one.
I get this equation for the horizontal forces on m1:

m1a = Fcos(theta) -T -ukm1g +ukFsin(theta)

And this one for the vertical forces on m2:

m2a = T -m2g

I can combine these equations and solve for a, but that
doesn't seem to be working out for me. Any suggestions?

The Attempt at a Solution

I plugged in all of the numbers, but it does not seem to be working out

Physics news on Phys.org
Seems right to me. What is the coefficient of friction? What number do you get for a?

you posted this on lon capa too.. how did you get T ??

What is a pulley?

A pulley is a simple machine that consists of a wheel with a grooved rim and a rope or chain that runs along the groove. It is used to change the direction of a force, allowing for easier lifting or moving of heavy objects.

How are two masses connected by a pulley?

Two masses connected by a pulley are connected to each other with a rope or chain that runs through the pulley. One mass is attached to one end of the rope, while the other mass is attached to the other end. The pulley acts as a fulcrum, allowing the masses to move in opposite directions.

What is the purpose of connecting two masses with a pulley?

The purpose of connecting two masses with a pulley is to demonstrate the principles of Newton's laws of motion and to study the relationship between the masses and their movements. It also allows for the application of different forces and the observation of how they affect the system.

How does the movement of one mass affect the other?

In a system of two masses connected by a pulley, the movement of one mass will cause the other mass to move in the opposite direction. This is due to the conservation of energy and the transfer of forces through the rope or chain.

What factors can affect the movement of two masses connected by a pulley?

The movement of two masses connected by a pulley can be affected by factors such as the mass and weight of each object, the length and tension of the rope or chain, and the presence of any external forces acting on the system. Friction between the pulley and the rope or chain can also affect the movement.