Help with a thought experiment.

In summary, the experiment involves two masses that are of equal weight, and at the beginning of the experiment they are at rest relative to each other. Newton's law of gravity is used to calculate the acceleration towards infinity as separation decreases towards zero. However, using special relativity, it is predicted that acceleration will approach zero as the (negative) rate of change in separation approaches the speed of light. Although the experiment is simple, the problem the researcher is having is that they can't find a non relativistic function for gravitational jerk (da/dt) because Newtonian gravity is incompatible with special relativity.
MCarroll
I was working on a thought experiment to help myself understand the curvature of space when I got stuck on something (I hope) is simple. I realize this might be a basic problem but I was hoping to generate some discussion.

The experiment involves a "universe" two neutrally charged masses of equal weight.

In this universe, the only force acting on either mass is the gravitational attraction and at the beginning of the experiment the objects are at rest relative to each other.

Using Newtons law of Gravity, I expect acceleration to be increasing towards infinity as separation decreases towards zero given that the force of attraction is inversely proportional to the square of separation. On the other hand using special relativity I expect acceleration to approach zero as the (negative) rate of change in separaration approaches the speed of light.

I wanted to explore this further but I am having trouble deriving a non relativistic function for Gravitational Jerk (da/dt) because although I can express time from rest in terns of distance I can't quite figure out distance from rest in terms of time.

Is anyone aware of accessible work on classical Gravitional Jerk?

Physics news on Phys.org
The problem is that Newtonian gravity is incompatible with special relativity. Your answer will depend on what do you take to be the masses (rest/invariant mass, relativistic mass, etc.) and which rest frame do you want to work in. The central problem is that [Newtonian gravity + SR] predicts different things depending on the frame you're in.

genneth said:
The central problem is that [Newtonian gravity + SR] predicts different things depending on the frame you're in.

Yeah, that is exactly what I want. Essentially I want to compare the results I get being on one object with the results I get at different distances from the collision point on a line perpendicular to the line of motion.

The PROBLEM I have is that I can't plot Jerk against time or find the point where Jerk=0 because I can't resolve classical separation in terms of time before I consider the Lorentz effects on the various terms.

I would suggest looking at the GR solution to a simpler problem - the path that a falling particle of negligible mass takes near a large mass, neglecting any gravitational radiation.

This means that the falling particle follows a geodesic path.

You can find some of the equations at http://www.fourmilab.ch/gravitation/orbits/

If you decide to attempt this, you might need a little more help, but this webpage should get you started.

I don't see the point in trying to do Newtonian gravity and SR - the whole purpose Einstein had in developing GR was to develop a theory of gravity that was consistent with special relativity.

Thanks pervect and genneth for your responses.

Pervect, the link you gave had interesting stuff on it but I am not ready to start thinking about orbits yet. I want to focus on the warp in a one dimensional gravitational system then map the lorentz effects of shifting the frame of reference along a second dimension. I am not saying this is a meaningful thought experiment but it is the one I am after.

my problem is I can't solve for s from:

t = - K * s *[tex]\sqrt{s_{0}-s}[/tex]

where K, s(o) are constants

because my math ability has very finite limits.

Perhaps it was premature for me to post here in the relativity form. I have simplified the question and reposted in the Classical forum and may also try the math help.

Thanks again for your responses.

That's a cubic equation, which becomes more evident after you square both sides. If you can't find a pretty way to solve it, you can always solve it with a calculator or an online site if you don't have a calculator of that capability. Or, if you really want to, you could use the cubic formula :wink:

thanks,

I got some help with that on a different forum. There turns out to be some good articles on the web.

1. What is a thought experiment?

A thought experiment is a mental exercise used by scientists to explore and test ideas or theories. It involves using imagination and logic to consider how a hypothetical situation or scenario might play out.

2. How can a thought experiment help in scientific research?

Thought experiments can help scientists to better understand complex concepts and theories, as well as to generate new ideas and hypotheses. They can also be used to test the feasibility of experiments or theories that may be difficult or impossible to carry out in reality.

3. Can thought experiments be used in all areas of science?

Yes, thought experiments can be used in any field of science. They have been used in physics, biology, psychology, and many other disciplines to explore and test theories and ideas.

4. Are there any limitations to using thought experiments?

While thought experiments can be a powerful tool in scientific research, they do have limitations. They are based on hypothetical scenarios and may not accurately reflect reality. Additionally, they rely on the imagination and reasoning skills of the scientist, which may be subjective.

5. How can one create a successful thought experiment?

To create a successful thought experiment, one should have a clear question or problem to explore, use logical reasoning, and consider all possible outcomes. It can also be helpful to discuss and collaborate with other scientists to refine and improve the thought experiment.