Calculating Center of Mass for a System of Spherical Masses on the x-axis

In summary, the problem is to find the position along the x-axis where the center of mass of a system of three spherical masses (5M, 2M, and M) fixed at specific points is located. The correct equation to use is x = (m1x1 + m2x2)/ m1+m2. The answer should be in units of meters. The correct answer is 2 "units," although the unit system is not specified.
psruler
Hi, here is the problem:

Imagine three spherical masses all fixed on the x-axis: mass 5M at the origin, mass 2M at x =+12.0 units, and mass M at x = -8.0 units, all connected by a rigid rod whose mass can be ignored. At what position along the x-axis is the center of mass of the system located?

is this the correct equation? if so, i don't know where to plug in the numbers.
x = (m1x1 + m2x2)/ m1+m2

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes.

Take a guess. You got 2 sets of values in the given and two sets of x and m in your equation. What makes sense?

cookiemonster

i got 2units as the answer. is that correct?

Oops.

You got 3 sets of values and 3 pairs of x and m. Your formula should be

[tex]\bar{x} = \frac{m_1x_1 + m_2x_2 + m_3x_3}{m_1 + m_2 + m_2}[/tex]

Sorry. I didn't catch that third value the first time.

2 "units" is not the correct answer. You should be getting something in units of meters.

cookiemonster

cookiemonster said:
2 "units" is not the correct answer. You should be getting something in units of meters.
Actually the answer is 2 "units". Where does it say we are working within the SI system, or any other unit system for that matter?

I could have sworn I read "meters" in that post last night! I must have been tired. =\

cookiemonster

What is the "Center of Mass problem"?

The Center of Mass problem, also known as the centroid problem, is a physics concept that deals with finding the point at which the mass of a system is evenly distributed. It is an important concept in mechanics and is used to accurately describe the motion of objects.

Why is the Center of Mass important in physics?

The Center of Mass is important because it allows us to simplify complex systems and describe their motion using a single point. This makes it easier to analyze and solve problems in mechanics, such as predicting the trajectory of a projectile or the stability of an object.

How is the Center of Mass calculated?

The Center of Mass is calculated by finding the weighted average of the positions of all the individual masses in a system. This can be done using mathematical formulas or by using graphical methods such as vector addition.

What factors affect the Center of Mass?

The Center of Mass is affected by the distribution of mass within a system. The location of the individual masses and their relative distances from the origin of the coordinate system determine the position of the Center of Mass.

Can the Center of Mass be outside of an object?

Yes, the Center of Mass can be outside of an object if the mass is unevenly distributed. For example, in a see-saw, the heavier person would cause the Center of Mass to shift towards their side, even if they are not physically located at the center of the see-saw.