How Fast Does a Released Mass Travel After Being Stretched by Springs?

In summary, a 10kg mass attached to two springs with a spring constant of 80 N/m and an unstretched length of 1m is held against the floor and released. The mass will reach a velocity of 9.92m/s when it hits the ceiling, assuming the springs become loose and floppy at their rest length. This is calculated using the Pythagorean theorem to find the stretched length of the springs, and trigonometry to find the height (h) of the mass after being released. The final energy is calculated by taking into account the energy stored in the springs, with each spring being stretched by 1m.
kdm06
A 10kg mass, attached by means of two springs to the ceiling, is held against the floor and is then released. How fast will it be traveling when it hits the ceiling? The spring constant of each spring is 80 N/m, and each spring has an unstretched length of 1 m. Assume that springs become loose and floppy once they're at their rest length.

distance between ceiling and floor: h_o=4m
horizontal distance from mass to each spring: 2m

Springs are at an angle from mass.

I used pythagorean theorem to find stretched length of spring:
s=sqrt(4^2+2^2)=sqrt(20)

I found theta to find h after the mass is released:
tan(theta)=4/2
theta=63.43494

I found h using trig:
h=unstretched length of string*sin(theta)=.8944

The answer is v=9.92m/s

I used this equation to solve for v with my datum at the floor:

PE(sp)=KE+PE(g)
1/2ks^2=1/2mv^2+mgh
1/2(80)(sqrt(20))^2=1/2(10)v^2+(10)(9.81)(.89)
v=11.93m/s

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Why did you use 0.89 instead of 4m, for mgh?

Also you need to use 2*((1/2)kx^2) at the bottom instead of just (1/2)kx^2, since there are two springs...

also, the stretched amount of each spring is sqrt(20) - 1, so

initial energy =

2*(1/2)*80*(sqrt(20)-1)^2

also, for final energy, there's still energy stored in the springs... the horizontal distance is 2m, hence each spring is stretched by 1m.

Thank you! i got the answer. i just want to know for final energy, the 1 m the springs are still stretched is that from the unstretched length or an additional stretch?

kdm06 said:
Thank you! i got the answer. i just want to know for final energy, the 1 m the springs are still stretched is that from the unstretched length or an additional stretch?

additional stretch... total of 2m... 1m unstretched, 1m stretched.

What is potential spring energy?

Potential spring energy is the stored energy that a spring possesses when it is stretched or compressed from its resting position. This energy can be released and transformed into other forms of energy, such as kinetic energy.

How is potential spring energy calculated?

The formula for calculating potential spring energy is E = 1/2 * k * x^2, where E is the potential energy, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement from the resting position.

What factors affect potential spring energy?

The potential spring energy is affected by the spring constant, the displacement from the resting position, and the mass of the object attached to the spring. It is also influenced by external factors such as gravity and friction.

What are some real-life examples of potential spring energy?

Some common examples of potential spring energy include a compressed spring in a toy car, a stretched elastic band, a coiled spring in a clock, and a compressed spring in a pogo stick.

How is potential spring energy used in everyday life?

Potential spring energy is used in various applications, such as in mechanical devices like springs in car suspensions, door hinges, and mattresses. It is also used in toys, sports equipment, and medical devices like prosthetics and heart valves.