Delta Sign Confusion: Solving Depth of Grand Canyon

In summary, the problem presented is about Hans standing at the Grand Canyon and yodeling to the bottom, with the yodel echoing back after 5.20 seconds. The task is to determine the depth of the canyon at this location, assuming the speed of sound in air is 340.0m/s. The given equation is vf=vo+g(DELTA)t, and the student attempted to solve it by using division for delta, but it is incorrect. The correct equation to use is s=d/t, as sound behaves differently from a kinematic particle.
ashley_bryant

Homework Statement

Hans stands at the of the Grand Canyon and yodels down to the bottom. He hears his yodel echo back from the canyon floor 5.20s later. Assume that the speed of sound in air is 340.0m/s. How deep is the canyon at this location?

I made a chart.
Velocity Original = 340
Velocity Final= Unknown
Distance= x
Gravity = 9.81
Time = 5.20

The equation I'm using is
vf=vo+g(DELTA)t

I pretty much do the equation, I just need to know what I need to do for delta. (divide, mulitply, etc. I'm in Physics PRE-AP, Algebra, 9th grade. Advanced classes, blah.)

Homework Equations

Not sure what you mean?

The Attempt at a Solution

I plugged in the numbers:
vf= 340 + 9.81 (DELTA) 5.20

For delta, I used division. (VF-VO/G = T?)
I plugged in the numbers:
0-340/9.81
I got -34.65
This is probably wrong... >_<

Physics news on Phys.org
The equation you need is simply [itex] s=\frac{d}{t} [itex]. Sound is a pressure wave and doesn't behave like a kinematic particle. Its speed is essentially constant.

I would suggest using the correct equation for solving depth in this scenario, which is the formula for distance: d = vt, where d is distance, v is velocity, and t is time. In this case, we know the velocity of sound (340 m/s) and the time it took for the echo to return (5.20 seconds). Plugging these values into the equation, we get d = 340 m/s * 5.20 s = 1768 m. Therefore, the depth of the Grand Canyon at this location is approximately 1768 meters. It is important to use the correct equation for the given scenario, as using the wrong equation can lead to incorrect results. Additionally, it is always a good idea to double check your calculations to ensure accuracy.

1. What is delta sign confusion?

Delta sign confusion refers to the incorrect interpretation of geological features in satellite imagery, particularly in the Grand Canyon, due to the similarity in appearance of delta-shaped sediment deposits and river channels.

2. Why is solving depth of Grand Canyon important?

Understanding the depth of the Grand Canyon is important for several reasons. It helps us understand the geological processes that formed the canyon, as well as the history of the region. Additionally, accurate depth measurements are crucial for activities such as tourism, water resource management, and geological research.

3. How does delta sign confusion affect depth measurements?

Delta sign confusion can cause significant errors in depth measurements, as it can lead to misinterpretation of sediment deposits as river channels. This can result in an overestimation or underestimation of the true depth of the canyon.

4. What methods are used to solve delta sign confusion?

Scientists use a combination of satellite imagery, field surveys, and geological mapping to accurately identify and differentiate between delta-shaped sediment deposits and river channels. They also take into account other factors such as the surrounding topography and geological history.

5. How can solving delta sign confusion benefit other areas of research?

Solving delta sign confusion can have broader implications for remote sensing and geological studies. By developing methods to accurately identify and map geological features, scientists can apply these techniques to other regions and improve our understanding of the Earth’s surface and its processes.