Proof of Proposition 2 in Ch.7 Spivak Vol.2: n-Dimensional Distribution?

In summary, Proposition 2 in Chapter 7 of Spivak's Volume 2 is a crucial result in n-dimensional distribution theory that helps determine linear independence of a set of functions. It is proven using mathematical induction and the Gram-Schmidt process, with assumptions including the functions being defined on an open subset of n-dimensional Euclidean space and having a positive definite inner product. It is closely related to other theorems in n-dimensional distribution theory and can be applied to higher dimensions, although the proof may become more complex.
joe2317
Hi.

I have a question on proof of proposition 2 in chater 7 Spivak volume2.
In the proof, he says that the n-dimensional distribution
[tex]\Delta_{p}[/tex]=[tex]\bigcap^{n}_{i,j=1}[/tex]ker[tex]\Lambda^{i}_{j}[/tex](p)
in R^(n+n^2) is integrable.
Could anyone explain why it is an n dimensional distribution?
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Never mind. I figured this out.

Sure, I'd be happy to provide a response.

First, let's define what is meant by an "n-dimensional distribution". In general, a distribution on a manifold M is a subspace of the tangent space at each point that varies smoothly with the point. In other words, it assigns a subspace of the tangent space at each point in a smooth way.

Now, in the case of the n-dimensional distribution in question, we are considering a distribution on the manifold R^(n+n^2), which is the space of n x n matrices. This space has dimension n + n^2, and we are interested in finding a subspace of dimension n at each point that varies smoothly with the point.

The key to understanding why the intersection of the kernels of the n x n matrices is an n-dimensional distribution lies in the definition of the kernel of a matrix. The kernel of a matrix is the set of all vectors that are mapped to the zero vector under the action of the matrix. In other words, it is the set of vectors that the matrix "flattens" to zero.

Now, in the proof of Proposition 2, Spivak shows that the intersection of the kernels of the matrices \Lambda^{i}_{j}(p) is precisely the set of all tangent vectors at p that are "flattened" to zero by all of the matrices. In other words, it is the set of all tangent vectors at p that are orthogonal to all of the rows and columns of all of the matrices. This subspace has dimension n, as it is the intersection of n subspaces of dimension n.

Furthermore, Spivak shows that this subspace varies smoothly with the point p, which is the key requirement for a distribution. Therefore, we can conclude that the intersection of the kernels of the matrices \Lambda^{i}_{j}(p) is indeed an n-dimensional distribution on R^(n+n^2).

I hope this helps to clarify why this is the case. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

1. What is the significance of Proposition 2 in Chapter 7 of Spivak's Volume 2?

Proposition 2 in Chapter 7 of Spivak's Volume 2 is a fundamental result in n-dimensional distribution theory. It provides a method for determining whether a given set of functions is linearly independent or not. This is crucial in many areas of mathematics, particularly in linear algebra and differential geometry.

2. How is Proposition 2 proven in Spivak's Volume 2?

Proposition 2 is proven using mathematical induction and the Gram-Schmidt process. The proof involves constructing a sequence of linear combinations of the given functions and showing that they converge to a unique linear combination, thus proving linear independence.

3. What are the assumptions made in Proposition 2?

The assumptions made in Proposition 2 include the functions being defined on an open subset of n-dimensional Euclidean space, and the existence of a positive definite inner product on that space. Additionally, the functions must be smooth and have compact support.

4. How does Proposition 2 relate to other theorems in n-dimensional distribution theory?

Proposition 2 is closely related to other theorems in n-dimensional distribution theory, such as the Hahn-Banach theorem and the Riesz representation theorem. It is also used in the proof of the Whitney embedding theorem, which states that any n-dimensional manifold can be embedded in a (2n+1)-dimensional Euclidean space.

5. Can Proposition 2 be applied to higher dimensions?

Yes, Proposition 2 can be applied to any finite number of dimensions. It is commonly used in n-dimensional distribution theory, where n is a positive integer. However, the proof can become more complex as the number of dimensions increases.