Calculating Vertical Height in Ballistic Pendulum Experiment

• Thread starter princessfrost
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Height
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the vertical height of a ballistic pendulum after a rifle bullet is fired into it. The equation KE=(sum of the masses)(gravity)(h) is used to calculate the height, with the initial kinetic energy of the bullet being 778J and the kinetic energy of the bullet and pendulum after impact being 1.55J. The correct method is to equate this kinetic energy with the increase in potential energy (mgh) to find the vertical height.
princessfrost
Verticle height. Please help!

A 12.0 g rifle bullet is fired with a speed of 360 m/s into a ballistic pendulum with mass 6.00 kg, suspended from a cord 70.0 cm long.

Compute the vertical height through which the pendulum rises in cm.

How would you find the verticle height? I have the equation KE=(sum of the masses)(gravity)(h) to find it but I get 13.23 and that's not right. I found the initial kenitic energy of the bullet to be 778J and the kinetic energy of the bullet and pendulum immediately after the bullet becomes embedded in the pendulum to be 1.55J.

Can someone please help me?

Physics news on Phys.org
KE of the bullet & block as 1.55 J is correct. Re calculate equating this KE with increase in potential energy (mgh) to get the vertical height h. It won't be 13.23 cm

Thank you soo much! I got it. I thought you had to have the KE as 1.55J +778J on the left hand side of the equation. Thats why i was getting it wrong. But thank you!

1. What is vertical height?

Vertical height refers to the distance between a point or object and a horizontal surface.

2. How is vertical height measured?

Vertical height can be measured using various methods such as a measuring tape, ruler, or laser level. The unit of measurement used can vary depending on the situation, but common units include feet, meters, or inches.

3. What is the importance of vertical height in science?

Vertical height is important in many scientific fields, including physics, engineering, and geography. It is often used to calculate potential energy, determine the height of objects or structures, and analyze topography or landforms.

4. How is vertical height related to gravity?

Vertical height is directly related to gravity as it is a measure of the distance an object has to fall due to the force of gravity. The higher the vertical height, the longer the fall and the greater the impact of gravity on the object.

5. What are some examples of vertical height in everyday life?

Vertical height is present in many aspects of our daily lives. For example, the height of a building, the depth of a swimming pool, and the height of a person can all be measured using vertical height. It is also important in activities such as rock climbing, where the height of a cliff or rock face is crucial for safety and planning.