How can the average velocity in laminar fully developed pipe flow be calculated?

In summary, for laminar fully developed pipe flow, the average velocity V is equal to 0.5 times the maximum velocity u(max). The velocity profile for this flow is a parabola, with the maximum velocity occurring at the center of the pipe. This can be derived using basic principles of average velocity and integrating the velocity profile. Navier-Stokes equations are not necessary to derive the equation for the velocity profile.
Student39
This question has been bugging for a while now. I have been trying to solve it, but not getting anywhere. Hopefully, you guys can be of some help. Here's the question:

For laminar fully developed pipe flow, show the average velocity V = 0.5u(max).

Any help will be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
What does the velocity profile for fully developed laminar flow look like?

laminar flow in a pipe will get its maximum velocity in the very center of the pipe. the profile is a parabola. U function of the radial position U=U(r); Radius = R; U(0)=Umax and U(R)=0

u(r)=Umax*(1-r**2/R**2)

Umoy is indeed equal two the half of Umax.

do you need more info about how to get there?

Here it is!

We wand to find average velocity. Now let's start from basics:- Average velocity means average velocity of all the particles in a unit cross-section of the tube. So consider a ring of radius r having a differential are equal to 2*Pi*r*dr. So multiplying this by velocity gives the sum of velocity of all the particles in that differential tube. So if we integrate from 0 to R, we get total velocity of all the particles. and hence dividing the expression by area gives us the average velocity which comes out top be equalt to 0.5 times the Vmax!

Regards,
Vishal

Hello,

Could you please tell me how to get to the equation for a pipe flow.

u(r)=Umax*(1-r**2/R**2)

Thank you so much in advance.

zytrahus said:
laminar flow in a pipe will get its maximum velocity in the very center of the pipe. the profile is a parabola. U function of the radial position U=U(r); Radius = R; U(0)=Umax and U(R)=0

u(r)=Umax*(1-r**2/R**2)

Umoy is indeed equal two the half of Umax.

do you need more info about how to get there?

iamazad24 said:
Hello,

Could you please tell me how to get to the equation for a pipe flow.

u(r)=Umax*(1-r**2/R**2)

Thank you so much in advance.

you "get it" by solving the Navier-Stokes equations with the appropriate boundary conditions and simplifications (i.e. incompressible, v . ∇ρ ≈ 0 )

This is a chicken/egg question: parabolic or navier-stokes?

I "read/know" that the velocity profile for laminar flow is parabolic with v=vmax as maximum and v=0 on the edges let us say D=2d. Mathematically I immediately say: the equation of such a parabola is v=vmax•(1-x²/d²) for xε[-d,d]. (This is just the equation of a parabola with max=vmax and roots x=-d and x=d.) No Navier-Stokes required.

If I have a circular pipe, I change x=r, d=R (radius of pipe) and use polar integration to get
Q=vmax•∫∫(1-r²/R²)rdrdθ on intervals rε[0,R] and θε[0,2π] to get Q=(vmax/2)•πR².

Then vavg=Q/A=(vmax/2)•πR²/πR²=vmax/2 (and derive the formula asked at beginning).

So - if I know laminar flow has a parabolic velocity profile, why use NS to find the equation with vmax? I can see using NS to find vmax, but not to get the equation with vmax in it.

BTW: Anybody know of a link with (solved) laminar flow problems for rectangular ducts with a given vmax? Thanks!

Integrate the velocity profile then divide by the length of the integration.

1. What is pipe flow?

Pipe flow refers to the movement of fluids (liquids or gases) through a pipe or conduit. It is a common phenomenon in many industries and is essential for the transportation of various substances.

2. What factors affect pipe flow?

The factors that affect pipe flow include the diameter and length of the pipe, the fluid viscosity, the fluid velocity, and the roughness of the pipe's inner surface. Other factors such as temperature, pressure, and pipe material can also play a role.

3. How is pipe flow calculated?

Pipe flow is typically calculated using the Bernoulli equation, which considers the fluid's velocity, pressure, and elevation at different points along the pipe. Other equations, such as the Darcy-Weisbach equation, can also be used depending on the specific conditions of the pipe flow.

4. What is laminar flow and turbulent flow in pipes?

Laminar flow is a type of pipe flow where the fluid particles move in a smooth, orderly manner with little to no mixing between layers. Turbulent flow, on the other hand, is characterized by chaotic, irregular movement of fluid particles and significant mixing between layers. The type of flow depends on the fluid velocity and the pipe's characteristics.

5. How is pipe flow important in engineering and science?

Pipe flow is crucial in various engineering and scientific fields, such as chemical engineering, civil engineering, and environmental engineering. It is used to design and optimize piping systems for the transportation of fluids in industries like oil and gas, water treatment, and manufacturing. Pipe flow is also essential in understanding natural phenomena, such as river flow and blood flow in the human body.