Wave on a rope - question concerns the maths of the wave equation

In summary, the equation of a line that is created when you take the derivative of a function with a constant, gives you two points that are related by a cosine function. The y that is used in this equation is the cosine of the velocity vector of the wave. The tension in the rope will vary depending on the motion of the parts of the rope.
karnten07

Homework Statement

[(w^2).b - Tk^2]/Qw = tan(kx - wt + P)

This can't be solved for all (x,t) with constant values of w and k

Can you explain why this is so please?

ive used b to represent the mass per unit length, and T is the tension

Homework Equations

This is the answer to a question that asked if why a particular value of y doesn't satisfy the general wave equation. I just don't understand why the statement is true.

The Attempt at a Solution

i think this may just be a mathematical explanation due to the nature of the tan function, but I am unsure.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you're on the right lines. Have you looked at the tan function to see what its nature is?

Looking at
[(w^2).b - Tk^2]/Qw = tan(kx - wt + P)
let w, k, Q and T be constants, and K = [(w^2).b - Tk^2]/Qw

then K = tan (kx - wt + P),

tan-1(K) - P = C = kx - wt and C = kx - wt is the equation of a line, which then means that there is only one x for one t.

On the other hand, T would be a function of lateral displacement.

I should clarify that the motion of the rope that is being studied is the vertical motion as a wave travels along a horizontal lying rope, so in the direction y. The wave equation that is used is

b. (d^2y/dt^2) = T.(d^2y/dx^2) - Q.dy/dt

The derivative multiplied by Q is the part of the equation that describes the fricitional forces of the rope that are proportional and opposite to the velocity of the rope.

The y that is used is a cosine function and when inserted into the equation provides the end formula as stated in the first post.

So from this, i think that the tension will vary along the rope due to the differing motion of parts of the rope. Is this what you mean by it bein a function of lateral displacement?

Im not sure i understand the statement that there would be one value of x for a value of t, because at a time t, the rope would have just one value of x for a time t unless the rope had coiled back on itself above x, therefore giving two values. But this motion is considered not to happen here, so it would be true that one value of x occurs for one value of t.

Any clarification on how the formula arrived at by substituting our value of y, shows that the value of y isn't a vlaid solution to the wave equation given?

1. What is the wave equation and how does it relate to a wave on a rope?

The wave equation is a mathematical formula that describes how a wave propagates through a medium. For a wave on a rope, the equation relates the displacement of the rope to time and distance, taking into account the tension and density of the rope.

2. What are the key variables in the wave equation for a wave on a rope?

The key variables in the wave equation for a wave on a rope are the tension of the rope, the density of the rope, the distance along the rope, and the time. These variables determine the shape and behavior of the wave.

3. How do you solve the wave equation for a wave on a rope?

The wave equation can be solved using various methods, such as separation of variables, Fourier series, or Fourier transforms. These methods involve manipulating the equation to find a solution that satisfies the boundary conditions for the specific problem.

4. What is the significance of the wave speed in the wave equation for a wave on a rope?

The wave speed is a crucial parameter in the wave equation, as it determines how fast the wave propagates through the rope. It is related to the tension and density of the rope, and a change in either of these factors can affect the wave speed and the behavior of the wave.

5. How does the wave equation for a wave on a rope differ from other wave equations?

The wave equation for a wave on a rope is a specific case of the general wave equation, which describes the behavior of waves in various physical systems. However, the wave equation for a wave on a rope takes into account the unique characteristics of a rope, such as tension and density, and may also include additional factors such as damping or external forces acting on the rope.