Loved General Chem, but not so much Organic what's next?

In summary, the speaker expresses a preference for chemistry courses that involve calculations and asks for recommendations for the next math-heavy chemistry course. They also mention a lack of interest in first-year Organic Chemistry and suggest that other courses like Quantitative/Analytical, Physical, and Inorganic chemistry may help their understanding of Organic Chemistry.
rocomath
i really liked Gen. Chem b/c it involved calculations and i miss that, what's the next Chem course I can take that is heavy in Math in Chem?

also, i understand and know most of the things that is expected from a 1st yr Organic student, it's just not that appealing to me.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Physical chem. most chemistry students hate it because it involves calcualtions!

rocophysics said:
i really liked Gen. Chem b/c it involved calculations and i miss that, what's the next Chem course I can take that is heavy in Math in Chem?

also, i understand and know most of the things that is expected from a 1st yr Organic student, it's just not that appealing to me.

What you say is not surprising. You will enjoy Quantitative/Analytical, Physical, and Inorganic chemistry as much as or more than you enjoyed General Chemistry. In fact, these other courses can also help you understand some of Organic Chemistry a little better. A good amount of calculational activity can be applied to chromatographic behavior and exctractions, too.

1. Why did I enjoy general chemistry but struggle with organic chemistry?

General chemistry and organic chemistry are two very different branches of chemistry. General chemistry focuses on the fundamentals of chemistry, such as atomic structure, periodic trends, and chemical reactions. Organic chemistry, on the other hand, is more focused on the study of carbon-containing compounds and their properties. Many students find organic chemistry challenging because it requires a different way of thinking and problem-solving compared to general chemistry.

2. Can I still pursue a career in chemistry if I do not enjoy organic chemistry?

Yes, there are many different subfields within the field of chemistry, and not all of them require a strong understanding of organic chemistry. Some examples include analytical chemistry, physical chemistry, and biochemistry. It is important to explore different areas of chemistry to find one that you are passionate about.

3. What is the best way to approach learning organic chemistry?

Organic chemistry can be challenging, but with the right approach, it can be just as enjoyable as general chemistry. It is important to have a strong understanding of the basic concepts before moving on to more complex topics. Practice and repetition are also key to mastering organic chemistry, so make sure to do plenty of practice problems and review regularly.

4. Are there any resources available to help me with organic chemistry?

Yes, there are many resources available to help you with organic chemistry. Your professor or TA may offer office hours or tutoring sessions, and there are also online resources such as videos, practice problems, and study guides. It is also helpful to form a study group with classmates to work through problems together.

5. Are there any other courses or subjects related to general chemistry that I may enjoy more than organic chemistry?

Yes, there are many related courses and subjects that you may find more enjoyable than organic chemistry. Some examples include physical chemistry, materials science, and environmental chemistry. It is important to explore different areas of chemistry to find one that aligns with your interests and strengths.