What career options align with my interests in math and physics?

In summary, the conversation revolved around a high school student unsure of what career to pursue. They have a strong interest in math and physics, but don't enjoy biology. They are considering engineering, but have heard mixed reviews about job satisfaction and pay. Their friends are suggesting a career in medicine, but they are not passionate about biology. The expert recommends taking a broad range of classes in college to explore interests and suggests potential careers in actuarial science, statistics, and software engineering. They also caution against choosing a career solely for financial reasons and emphasize the importance of personal motivation.
temaire
I'am in High School right now, and I'am still not really sure what job I would want to have. However, I do have several areas of interest. My favorite subject by far is math, which is closely followed by physics. I somewhat like chemistry, but I don't really like biology at all. I know about engineering, but I hear that it doesn't pay too great and the job security isn't that good either. I don't know, maybe I haven't been listening to the best sources, but that's what I hear. My friends are telling me to be a doctor because my grades in biology are high, but I don't like biology. Does anyone have any opinions on jobs that are relevant to my interest, yet pay quite good?

Physics news on Phys.org
Since you have yet to start college you really don't need to make a firm decision yet. For your first semester, take Math, Physics, CS, Econ, English. See what you like. All of those classes will likely count toward your degree no matter what you decide to major in. Do well in your English class as it will likely help you in all the core classes you have to take. If you like Business, take a class in that. Also, computer skills are in high demand (knowing how to program (Java for example), or how to use data analysis software (SAS) seems to be a good way to find a job).

If you want to look at specific careers, check out Actuary, Statistician, Software Engineer. Actuary is consistently rated as one of the best careers, and I think Statistician is up there too. Check out: http://www.usnews.com/usnews/biztech/best_careers_2007/

Last edited by a moderator:
DO NOT become a doctor because your biology grades are high, you will be unhappy yourself during your undergrad years, and more so in med school.
Become a doctor because you want to help people.

There are tons of places you can go with math/sci degrees, and likewise tons of posts on this forum with similar questions as yours.
Take head in mattmns post and take a broad selection of courses your first year. Take some courses in calculus, physics, chemistry, literature, computer science, art, or history. You may find that yes you are good at science and math but the calling is just not there. You shouldn't pursue a career for the money, rather because it is what you want to do.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the role of a career guidance counselor?

A career guidance counselor helps individuals explore different career options and make informed decisions about their career paths. They provide personalized guidance and support to help individuals identify their strengths, interests, and goals, and then assist them in creating a plan to achieve those goals.

2. How can career guidance benefit me?

Career guidance can benefit you in many ways. It can help you gain a better understanding of your skills, interests, and values, which can lead to more fulfilling and successful career choices. It can also provide you with valuable resources and tools to help you achieve your career goals, such as resume building, job search strategies, and interview preparation.

3. What are the key elements of effective career guidance?

The key elements of effective career guidance include individualized attention, a comprehensive understanding of the job market, and the use of up-to-date tools and resources. It also involves building a strong relationship between the counselor and the individual, as well as regularly reviewing and evaluating progress and adjusting the plan as needed.

4. Can career guidance help me switch careers?

Yes, career guidance can be very helpful for individuals looking to switch careers. A career counselor can assist you in identifying transferable skills and exploring new career options that align with your interests and goals. They can also provide support and guidance during the transition process, helping you make a smooth and successful career change.

5. How do I find a reliable career guidance counselor?

To find a reliable career guidance counselor, you can start by asking for recommendations from friends, family, or colleagues. You can also do some research online to find counselors in your area and read reviews from their previous clients. It's important to choose a counselor who has the relevant education, experience, and credentials, and who you feel comfortable working with.