Which Adapter Requires More Watts for My Device?

• Thread starter Latvian
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Watt
In summary, if you have two adapters with the same information, but with different frequencies, you will need to buy an adapter that will give 4VDC @ 120ma in order to use both of them.
Latvian
If I have 2 electrical adapters for a specific device, which has the following information on them:

1- 230va/50hz/20mA
4vdc/150mA

2- 230vac/50-60hz/65mA
6.5vdc/600mA
ps66/2061 IP40
IEC60950 T45/E

How can I know, how many watts each of them require?

I know that the watt = Volt x Amp. but I have problems converting the units and getting the final accurate result.

Please help.

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
(1 Volt)*(1 mA) = 1 mWatt

Consider problem 1. The appliance can be either connected to AC 230 V at 50 Hz, and 20 mA should flow. P = 230*20 mW = 4600 mW.

But if it's connected to 4 V DC, the current is 150 mA, and the power drawn is 600 mW.

How can the same appliance draw different power if it is to function properly? Unless, there is the cos phi factor in the AC, which decreases the power in AC.

Last edited:
Thank you gouys for your reply and help.

Shooting star, regarding your question. I don't really know. I have just copied what was written on the adapter. It's an adapter for a IP phone which is a gift from a friend in Sweden, and I live in USA, that's why am asking about the watt, becasue I wanted to use a converter to convert from the 220-240 volts of Europle to 110 volts of the states.

Thanks anyways.

Oh, then you just go and buy an adapter. Ask in the shop. These are very common. The only thing which is still nagging me is that the frequency in US is 60 Hz.

Also, I've never come across 4 V DC. Ask in the shop. If you buy an adapter which gives 4 V DC, that'd be the best. Look for power-in holes and see what they say.

Shootingstar,
I suspect that 4VDC @ 120ma is the OUTPUT rating.

Integral said:
Shootingstar,
I suspect that 4VDC @ 120ma is the OUTPUT rating.

That does sound most reasonable.

What is a Watt?

A Watt is a unit of power that measures the rate at which energy is used or generated. It is named after James Watt, the inventor of the steam engine.

How is Watt different from other units of power?

Watt is the standard unit of power in the International System of Units (SI). Other common units of power include horsepower and kilowatt.

What is the formula for calculating Watt?

Watt can be calculated using the formula: Power (in Watts) = Voltage (in Volts) x Current (in Amps). Another way to calculate Watt is by using the formula: Power = Work (in Joules) / Time (in seconds).

What are some common uses of Watt?

Watt is commonly used to measure the power of electrical devices such as light bulbs, appliances, and electronics. It is also used in the context of energy production and consumption.

Is Watt the same as watt-hour?

No, Watt and watt-hour are two different units of measurement. Watt-hour is a unit of energy, while Watt is a unit of power. Watt-hour is used to measure the amount of energy consumed or generated over time, while Watt measures the rate at which energy is used or generated.