Efficient Small Heating Solutions for Low-Temperature Projects | Expert Advice

In summary: One thought, though. Since this is for heating tobacco, the heater element and bowl would need to be of food grade materials. I'm not sure the coil out of a hair dryer or other general air heating device would be food grade (which I know very little about). The OP should combine the words food grade with the google search that I did, to see if there is special nichrome wire that needs to be used for this type of application. And the bowl materials would need to be food grade as well -- can't just use any old stuff, I wouldn't think.Well the clay bowl's are already acceptable for use, as well they have the coal currently directly placed onto a metal grate
beshpin
Basically, what we're looking to construct is a very small heating apparatus.

We need to find an appropriate material to heat 28.26 cm sq., to roughly 150C or 423 K. We would prefer to use a battery mounted system but are equally ok with making some sort of plug-in system.

We're not quite sure where to start and figured you guys might have some solid advice.

Engineering news on Phys.org
What are you heating, how well insulated is it and how fast do you have to heat it?
That determines how much power you have to put in.

The simplest/cheapest solution would be a heater pad as used for engine blocks in cold countries, they should supply upto 500W. Google for, silicone or rubber heater pads.

I googled nichrome wire heater, and got lots of good hits. Nichrome wire is often used for making heating elements. Check out these two hits, and google the same terms to see what other info pops up. 150C is pretty hot, but very do-able with nicrhome wire.

http://www.heatersplus.com/nichrome.htm

http://www.dewbuster.com/heaters/nichrome.html [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks, basically what we're trying to do is create a coal-free hookah. We're looking at ways of creating a simple heating system for our tobacco. To see what we're talking about go to www.hookah-shisha.com and you'll see what kind of set up we're looking to build.

You were rather precise in the area needing to be heated so I assumed it was a flat surface, for just heating a bowl of tobacco then a wire heater element soemthign like the one in a hair dryer or slow cooker would be ideal.

Does the tobacco need to burn or just be heated?
For a prototype I would probably use parts out of an old hair dryer.

mgb_phys said:
Does the tobacco need to burn or just be heated?
For a prototype I would probably use parts out of an old hair dryer.

One thought, though. Since this is for heating tobacco, the heater element and bowl would need to be of food grade materials. I'm not sure the coil out of a hair dryer or other general air heating device would be food grade (which I know very little about). The OP should combine the words food grade with the google search that I did, to see if there is special nichrome wire that needs to be used for this type of application. And the bowl materials would need to be food grade as well -- can't just use any old stuff, I wouldn't think.

I'm not sure the OP is looking for FDA certification for the world's first SafetyBong (tm) !
But if you were worried you could put the tobbaco in a removeable stainless steel cup with a heater element wrapped around it.
Cleaning burnt tobacco out of a heater wire would be a pain anyway.

berkeman said:
One thought, though. Since this is for heating tobacco, the heater element and bowl would need to be of food grade materials. I'm not sure the coil out of a hair dryer or other general air heating device would be food grade (which I know very little about). The OP should combine the words food grade with the google search that I did, to see if there is special nichrome wire that needs to be used for this type of application. And the bowl materials would need to be food grade as well -- can't just use any old stuff, I wouldn't think.

Well the clay bowl's are already acceptable for use, as well they have the coal currently directly placed onto a metal grate on top of the bowl, so heat transmission is not an issue.

Although you're right about the food grade info for the wire, the wire itself isn't going into the bowl, it's probably going to be set up in a coil or other formation on top of the bowl with air being drawn down into the tobacco. I assume that any sort of heat produced wouldn't be any worse than the smoke from the tobacco so different grades most likely wouldn't be an issue. I'll pick up some stuff tonight and see what we can get going.

If it ever gets to a product consider a tilt switch that turns off the heater when it is knocked over, there have been a few fatalities in Canada with students knocking over hookah pipes. An electrical one would be a lot safer.

What is the purpose of finding efficient small heating solutions for low-temperature projects?

The purpose is to reduce energy consumption and costs while still providing adequate heating for low-temperature projects.

What are some factors to consider when choosing an efficient small heating solution for a low-temperature project?

Some factors to consider include the size of the project, the type of heating needed, the energy source, and the cost of installation and maintenance.

What are some common types of efficient small heating solutions for low-temperature projects?

Some common types include heat pumps, radiant heating, and electric heaters. These can be used individually or in combination to provide efficient heating for different types of projects.

How can I ensure that my chosen heating solution is truly efficient?

You can look for energy-efficient ratings, such as ENERGY STAR, and compare the energy consumption of different heating solutions. It is also important to properly maintain and regularly service your heating system to ensure it is working at its most efficient.

Is it possible to retrofit an existing heating system to make it more efficient for a low-temperature project?

Yes, there are options for retrofitting existing heating systems to make them more efficient for low-temperature projects. This may include adding insulation, upgrading to a more energy-efficient system, or implementing smart controls to optimize energy usage.