How Is Current Calculated in a Circuit with Charge Function q(t)?

In summary, total charge in a circuit refers to the amount of electric charge present in a closed circuit, measured in Coulombs (C). It is calculated by multiplying the current (in Amperes) by the time (in seconds) that the current flows through the circuit. If the current changes, the total charge will also change, as it is directly proportional to the current. Total charge cannot be negative, but the direction of the charge can be negative. Total charge affects the behavior of a circuit by determining the strength of the electric field, the amount of current, and the potential difference between different points in the circuit. It is a crucial factor in the proper functioning of a circuit.
JFonseka

Homework Statement

The total charge that has entered a circuit element is q(t)=2(3 − e[tex]^{-4t}[/tex]) when t≥0 and
q(t)=0 when t<0. Determine the current in this circuit element for t≥0.

Homework Equations

Differentiation

The Attempt at a Solution

i(t) = 2(4e[tex]^{-4t}[/tex]) + 3 - e[tex]^{-4t}[/tex]

i(t) = 7e[tex]^{-4t}[/tex] + 3

However the answer says 8e[tex]^{-4t}[/tex]

What have I done wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Nvm. Dumb mistake, just realized. Solved.

Your attempt at a solution is incorrect. The correct solution is:

i(t) = 8e^{-4t}

To find the current, we need to differentiate the given charge function with respect to time. This gives us:

i(t) = d/dt (2(3 − e^{-4t}))

i(t) = 2(d/dt(3) - d/dt(e^{-4t}))

i(t) = 2(0 - (-4e^{-4t}))

i(t) = 8e^{-4t}

Therefore, the current in the circuit element is 8e^{-4t} for t≥0. You may have made a mistake in differentiating the exponential term, which should give -4e^{-4t} instead of 4e^{-4t}. Double check your differentiation steps to find where the error occurred.

What is the definition of total charge in a circuit?

Total charge in a circuit refers to the amount of electric charge present in a closed circuit. It is measured in units of Coulombs (C) and is a fundamental property of matter.

How is total charge calculated in a circuit?

Total charge in a circuit can be calculated by multiplying the current (in Amperes) by the time (in seconds) that the current flows through the circuit. This can also be represented by the equation Q=I*t, where Q is the total charge, I is the current, and t is the time.

What happens to total charge in a circuit if the current changes?

If the current in a circuit changes, the total charge in the circuit will also change. This is because the amount of charge flowing through the circuit is directly proportional to the current. A higher current will result in a larger total charge and a lower current will result in a smaller total charge.

Can total charge in a circuit be negative?

No, total charge in a circuit cannot be negative. Electric charge is a scalar quantity and is always positive. However, the direction of the charge can be negative, which indicates the flow of electrons in the opposite direction of conventional current.

How does total charge affect the behavior of a circuit?

Total charge plays a crucial role in determining the behavior of a circuit. It affects the strength of the electric field, the amount of current flowing through the circuit, and the potential difference between different points in the circuit. Without total charge, a circuit would not be able to function properly.