Deriving Light Deflection Angle in Weak Gravitational Field | Homework Help

In summary, the first term on the right-hand side of the equation represents the change in direction of the light's path due to the gravitational field, while the second term is the deflection angle. Using the small angle approximation, the deflection angle can be obtained by taking the magnitude of the perpendicular gradient divided by the speed of light squared. This approximation is valid for small angles of deflection.
fikus

Homework Statement

I'm trying to derive deflection angle of light in weak gravitational field.

Homework Equations

Metric tensor in weak field [tex] g_{00}=(1+\frac{2\Phi}{c^2}), ~ g_{ii}=-(1-\frac{2\Phi}{c^2})[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

From Lagrangian [tex] L=\sqrt{g_{\mu \nu} \dot{x}^{\mu}\dot{x}^{\nu}} [/tex], I obtain equations of geodesic

[tex] g_{\mu \nu} \ddot{x}^{\nu} + \frac{\partial{g_{\mu \nu}}}{\partial{x^{\lambda}}} \dot{x}^{\lambda} \dot{x}^{\nu} - \frac{1}{2}\frac{\partial{g_{\lambda \nu}}}{\partial{x^{\mu}}} \dot{x}^{\lambda} \dot{x}^{\nu}~=~0 [/tex]

Putting in metric tensor and writing only equations for spatial coordinates I get :

[tex] -\left(1-\frac{2\Phi}{c^2}\right)\ddot{x}^i + \frac{2}{c^2}\frac{\partial{\Phi}}{\partial{x^j}} \dot{x}^j \dot{x}^i - \frac{\partial{\Phi}}{\partial{x^i}}\dot{t}^2- \frac{1}{c^2}\frac{\partial{\Phi}}{\partial{x^i}}(\dot{x}^2+\dot{y}^2+\dot{z}^2)~= 0 [/tex]

and for time coordinate
[tex] \dot{t}c^2(1+\frac{2\Phi}{c^2})= p_{t} [/tex]
which is constant of motion.
Noting that [tex] \dot{t}^2=(\dot{x}^2+\dot{y}^2+\dot{z}^2) [/tex] (from ds = 0 for light, in zeroth order in [tex]\Phi/c^2[/tex] ), and writing

[tex] \dot{x}^i=\frac{dx^i}{dt}\dot{t} = \frac{dx^i}{dt} \frac{p_t}{c^2(1+2\Phi/c^2)}[/tex]

and equivalently

[tex] \ddot{x}^i=p_t^2\frac{d^2x^i}{dt^2} - 2p_t^2 \frac{dx^i}{dt} \frac{\partial{\Phi}}{\partial{x^k}}\frac{dx^k}{dt}[/tex]

Putting it all together, neglecting terms with phi/c^2 and writing in vector form I get:

[tex]\frac{d\vec{v}}{dt} ~ = ~ \frac{4}{c^2}(\vec{v} \cdot \vec{\nabla}\Phi) \vec{v} -2\vec{\nabla }\Phi = \frac{2}{c^2}(\vec{v} \cdot \vec{\nabla}\Phi) \vec{v} - 2\vec{\nabla}_{\perp}\Phi[/tex]

Where I noted that the first term is just component of gradient in direction of v, and then writing nabla with \perp, for component of gradient perpendicular to v. So my question now is how to interpret this first term on rhs. Does it change speed of light ? (is it maybe shapiro delay ?) And how to then obtain deflection angle ? If there would be only second term I get

[tex]\vec{\alpha} = \frac{2}{c^2} \int \vec{\nabla}_\perp \Phi~ dl [/tex]

which is correct result. I just don't know what to do with that first term.

Hope I wasn't tooo long and thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your question. The first term on the right-hand side of your equation does not change the speed of light, as it is simply a component of the gradient vector in the direction of the velocity vector. This term represents the change in the direction of the light's path due to the presence of the gravitational field.

To obtain the deflection angle, you can use the small angle approximation, where the angle of deflection is approximately equal to the magnitude of the perpendicular gradient divided by the speed of light squared. So, in your equation, the deflection angle would be given by:

\vec{\alpha} = \frac{2}{c^2} \int \vec{\nabla}_\perp \Phi~ dl

This approximation is valid for small angles of deflection, which is typically the case in weak gravitational fields. I hope this helps clarify the interpretation of the first term and how to obtain the deflection angle. Good luck with your derivation!

1. What is light deflection?

Light deflection, also known as gravitational lensing, is the bending of light rays as they pass through massive objects in space, such as galaxies or black holes. This phenomenon was first predicted by Albert Einstein's theory of general relativity.

2. How does light deflection occur?

Light deflection occurs because massive objects create a curvature in the fabric of space-time, which causes light rays to follow a curved path instead of a straight line. The amount of deflection depends on the mass and distance of the object.

3. What evidence do we have for light deflection?

One of the most famous pieces of evidence for light deflection is the observation of gravitational lensing during a solar eclipse in 1919, which confirmed Einstein's theory of general relativity. Other evidence includes the observation of multiple images of the same distant object due to light being deflected by a massive object in between.

4. Is light deflection important in everyday life?

While light deflection may not have a direct impact on our daily lives, it is crucial for our understanding of the universe and how gravity works. It also plays a significant role in astronomy, as it allows us to study and observe distant objects that would otherwise be hidden behind massive objects.

5. Can we manipulate light deflection?

There have been some proposed methods for manipulating light deflection, such as using powerful lasers to create artificial gravitational lenses. However, these techniques are still in the early stages of research and development. Currently, we do not have the technology to manipulate light deflection on a large scale.