Relativity and pi-meson decay: Finding the Momentum of the Muon

In summary: Glad I could help. I'm going to think about it a little more, I think there is a "quicker" way to do this. I'll let you know if I come up with anything.In summary, the problem involves calculating the momentum of a muon that is created from the decay of a pi-meson, using the equation E^2 = (pc)^2 + (mc^2)^2 and conservation of momentum. The final solution is P_{\mu} = c(m_{\pi}^2 - m_{\mu}^2)/2m_{\pi}.
Vuldoraq
[SOLVED] Relativity and pi-meson decay

Homework Statement

A [tex]\pi[/tex] meson of mass [tex]m_{\pi}[/tex] at rest, decays into a muon of mass [tex]m_{\mu}[/tex] and a neutrino of zero rest mass, [tex]m_{v}=0[/tex]. Find the momentum of the muon.

Homework Equations

I think this is the right equation though I'm not sure if I should use four vectors.

[tex]E^{2}=(pc)^{2}+(mc^{2})^2[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Total energy before the decay is the same as the total energy after the decay, so,

[tex]E_{\pi}=m_{\pi}c^{2}[/tex]

[tex]E_{\mu}=P_{\mu}c+m_{\mu}c^{2}[/tex]

[tex]E_{v}=P_{v}c[/tex]

Giving a total energy of,

[tex]E_{\pi}=E_{\mu}+E_{v}[/tex]

[tex]m_{\pi}c^{2}=P_{v}c+P_{\mu}c+m_{\mu}c^{2}[/tex]

So the momentum is,

[tex]P_{\mu}=m_{\pi}c-P_{v}-m_{\mu}c[/tex]

I have a horrid feeling this is all wrong as it seems too easy. Please could someone let me know if I'm wrong in my reasoning?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Vuldoraq,

Vuldoraq said:

Homework Statement

A [tex]\pi[/tex] meson of mass [tex]m_{\pi}[/tex] at rest, decays into a muon of mass [tex]m_{\mu}[/tex] and a neutrino of zero rest mass, [tex]m_{v}=0[/tex]. Find the momentum of the muon.

Homework Equations

I think this is the right equation though I'm not sure if I should use four vectors.

[tex]E^{2}=(pc)^{2}+(mc^{2})^2[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Total energy before the decay is the same as the total energy after the decay, so,

[tex]E_{\pi}=m_{\pi}c^{2}[/tex]

[tex]E_{\mu}=P_{\mu}c+m_{\mu}c^{2}[/tex]

I think there is a math error in this last line; it doesn't seem to follow from the equation you have listed in the "Relevant equations" section. (Taking the square root doesn't just cancel the squares on the right hand side.)

Also, I think you should also use conservation of momentum in this problem.

Hey Alphysicist, thanks for the pointers

Correcting my error would give the muon energy to be,

[tex]E_{\mu}=\sqrt{(P_{\mu}c)^{2}+(m_{\mu}c^{2})^{2}}[/tex]

Which means the total energy is,

[tex]m_{\pi}c^{2}=\sqrt{(P_{\mu}c)^{2}+(m_{\mu}c^{2})^{2}}+P_{v}c[/tex]

Giving, after moving stuff around,

[tex]P_{\mu}=\sqrt{c^{2}(m_{\pi}^{2}-m_{\mu}^{2})+P_{v}^{2}+2m_{\pi}P_{v}c}[/tex]

Does this look better?

How would I apply cons of momentum in this problem?

About conservation of momentum: looking at the right hand side of your final expression, you know the masses of the pion and the muon, but you do not yet know the momentum of the neutrino, so you cannot evaluate the muons momentum which is what they ask for.

So go ahead and write down the equation for momentum conservation. What does the fact that momentum is conserved indicate about the momenta of the muon and neutrino?

Does it mean they have equal and opposite momenta? So the equations then become,

[tex]P_{v}=-P_{\mu}[/tex]

Which makes the right hand side of my equation become,

[tex]P_{\mu}=\sqrt{c^{2}(m_{\pi}-m_{\mu})^{2}-P_{\mu}^{2}-2m_{\pi}P{\mu}c}[/tex]

Which after rearranging and applying the quadratic formula becomes,

[tex]P_{\mu}=(1/2)*(m_{\pi}c \ +/- \ c\sqrt{2m_{\mu}^{2}-m_{\pi}^2})[/tex]

Which seems to be a negative momentum? Which value gives the actual momentum? Assuming I've gone right so far.

Last edited:
They should have equal and opposite momenta. However, in terms of the energy equations you have written, I think you should substitute:

[tex]
p_{\nu} = p_{\mu}
[/tex]

because I believe we want the magnitudes here. (For example, you found for the neutrino that its energy is E = p c because it's massless. Even if the momentum is negative, the energy is positive so we just use the magnitude of p.)

I see what you mean, this would then give a momentum of,

[tex]P_{\mu}^2=c^{2}(m_{\pi}^2-m_{\mu}^2)+P_{\mu}^2+2m_{\pi}cP_{\mu}[/tex]

Which reduces to,

[tex]P_{\mu}=-\frac{c(m_{\pi}^2-m_{\mu}^2)}{2m_{\pi}}[/tex]

I don't understand why it's negative though?

Thanks again for your help! :smile:

Vuldoraq,

I'm having some trouble following the work because of the changes made along the way. However, if we look back at post #3:

Vuldoraq said:
Hey Alphysicist, thanks for the pointers

Correcting my error would give the muon energy to be,

[tex]E_{\mu}=\sqrt{(P_{\mu}c)^{2}+(m_{\mu}c^{2})^{2}}[/tex]

Which means the total energy is,

[tex]m_{\pi}c^{2}=\sqrt{(P_{\mu}c)^{2}+(m_{\mu}c^{2})^{2}}+P_{v}c[/tex]

This looks okay to me.

Giving, after moving stuff around,

[tex]P_{\mu}=\sqrt{c^{2}(m_{\pi}^{2}-m_{\mu}^{2})+P_{v}^{2}+2m_{\pi}P_{v}c}[/tex]

I think there is an error here. It should have a minus sign and should be:

[tex]P_{\mu}=\sqrt{c^{2}(m_{\pi}^{2}-m_{\mu}^{2})+P_{v}^{2}-2m_{\pi}P_{v}c}[/tex]

Now with this, plug in the momentum relation ([itex]p_{\mu}=p_{v}[/itex]) and solve for the momentum. I think it gives the same answer but without the minus sign. Do you get the answer?

Hey Alphysicist,

I plugged in the corrected value and my answer is the same, and no longer negative,

[tex]P_{\mu}=\frac{c(m_{\pi}^2-m_{\mu}^2)}{2m_{\pi}}[/tex]

Thanks for your help, I would never have got there without it.

Vuldoraq

1. What is the theory of relativity?

The theory of relativity, developed by Albert Einstein, is a fundamental concept in physics that explains the relationship between space and time. It proposes that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion and that the speed of light is constant in all inertial frames of reference. It has two main components: the special theory of relativity and the general theory of relativity.

2. How does the theory of relativity relate to pi-meson decay?

The theory of relativity plays a crucial role in understanding the decay of pi-mesons. According to the theory, the energy and mass of particles are equivalent, which means that particles with higher energy will have a greater mass. In the case of pi-meson decay, the high-energy pions decay into lower-energy muons, which results in a decrease in mass, following the equation E=mc^2.

3. What is pi-meson decay and why is it important?

Pi-meson decay is the process in which a pi-meson (a type of subatomic particle) decays into other particles, such as muons and neutrinos. This process is important because it helps us understand the fundamental building blocks of matter and the forces that govern their interactions. It also has practical applications in particle accelerators and medical imaging techniques.

4. How does the theory of relativity impact our understanding of pi-meson decay?

The theory of relativity is essential in understanding pi-meson decay because it allows us to calculate the decay rate and energy of the particles involved. It also helps us understand the behavior of particles at high speeds, which is necessary for understanding the decay of pi-mesons in particle accelerators.

5. Is the theory of relativity the only explanation for pi-meson decay?

No, the theory of relativity is not the only explanation for pi-meson decay. Other theories, such as quantum mechanics, also play a role in understanding this process. However, the theory of relativity provides a comprehensive explanation that has been extensively tested and validated through experiments, making it a fundamental concept in our understanding of the universe.