Air fuel Mix Ambient psi vs. compressed energy ouput

In summary, compression of the air fuel mixture is necessary to create a higher or more efficient energy output for piston engines, ram jet engines, and turbines.
Dreamer 2008
Internal combustion engines, Ram Jet, Turban engines etc. require that the air fuel mix be compressed. Is the compression of the air fuel mixture required to give a higher or more efficient energy output? Otherwise if the air fuel mix were at a static or ambient pressure vs. compressed would the energy output be different?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Dreamer 2008 said:
Is the compression of the air fuel mixture required to give a higher or more efficient energy output?
For piston engines higher compression is better (as long as the octane is high enough to avoid pre-detonation). I'm not sure about turbines, ram and scram jets. Compressing the air first increases the amount of oxygen available to mixs with the fuel in jet engines, so it's more efficient in terms of power versus size and/or weight to compress the air.

For rocket engines, it probably doesn't matter much, for example, solid fuel rockets are pressurized by the thrust from the engine, but the rate of compression is very small. For liquid fuel rocket engine, the nozzle pressure just has to be greater than the pressure due to thrust from the rocket engine.

Dreamer 2008 said:
Is the compression of the air fuel mixture required to give a higher or more efficient energy output?
Pretty much, yes. The fuel has a specific amount of energy it can release on a unit mass or volume basis. Therefore, to get more energy, you need to burn more fuel. That more fuel requires a larger mass of air to keep the combustion near the optimal stoichometric air-fuel ratio. Not only that, but the thrust created by an engine is a result of the change in momentum of the air stream. The more air the engine pumps, the greater the momentum change that is possible.

Thanks Jeff and Fred that helps me a lot. I am sure I will have more questions later. I am quite curious about sterling engines such as delta t vs. torque out. But I need to formulate a proper question. Thanks again

1. What is meant by "Air fuel Mix Ambient psi vs. compressed energy output"?

This phrase refers to the relationship between the pressure of the air and fuel mixture entering an engine and the resulting energy output produced by the engine.

2. Why is it important to consider the air fuel mix and ambient psi when measuring compressed energy output?

The air fuel mix and ambient psi can greatly impact the efficiency and power output of an engine. By understanding this relationship, scientists can optimize engine performance and fuel efficiency.

3. How is the air fuel mix and ambient psi measured?

The air fuel mix can be measured using a ratio of air to fuel, while the ambient psi can be measured using a pressure gauge. Both of these measurements are important in determining the overall performance of an engine.

4. What factors can affect the air fuel mix and ambient psi?

Several factors can impact the air fuel mix and ambient psi, including altitude, temperature, and humidity. These variables can change the density and composition of the air, which in turn affects the combustion process.

5. How do scientists use the information about air fuel mix and ambient psi to improve engine performance?

By understanding the relationship between air fuel mix and ambient psi, scientists can develop more efficient and powerful engines. They can also make adjustments to optimize engine performance based on external factors such as altitude and temperature.