Nuclear Physics - Mass Defect & Binding Energy

In summary, the conversation discusses mass defect and binding energy in the context of nuclear physics. The formula for calculating mass defect is provided and the question of what the mass of an electron (me) should be in the formula is raised. It is determined that the mass of an electron is significant in the equation and cannot be ignored.
Kylah
[SOLVED] Nuclear Physics - Mass Defect & Binding Energy

1. Carbon 12 ([tex]^{12}_{6}[/tex]C) has a nuclear mass of 1.99264 x 10-26 kg, a proton has a mass of 1.67353 x 10-27, and a neutron has a mass of 1.67492 x 10-27 kg. Calculate the mass defect for carbon 12.

My equation looks like this:
[tex]\Delta[/tex]m = [Z(mp+me) + (A-Z)mn]-matom

Where:
[tex]\Delta[/tex]m = ?
mp = 1.67353 x 10-27 kg
mn = 1.67353 x 10-27 kg
me =
matom = 1.99264 x 10-26
Z = 6
A = 12

What I'm not sure is what me is. Could anybody help me?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey,

The mass of an electron is 1836 times smaller than the mass of a proton [tex]m_{e}=9.10938*10^{-31}Kg[/tex], though I think that even if you take it into consideration in your calculation you will find it makes no difference to your result, since your other numbers don't have sufficient decimal places.

Actually the electron mass will be significant here. 12 electrons will have a total mass of 0.01093 x 10^-27kg. With 6 significant digits, this mass can not be ignored.

Chi Meson said:
Actually the electron mass will be significant here. 12 electrons will have a total mass of 0.01093 x 10^-27kg. With 6 significant digits, this mass can not be ignored.

Thank you!

1. What is mass defect in nuclear physics?

Mass defect refers to the difference between the mass of a nucleus and the sum of the masses of its individual protons and neutrons. This difference is due to the conversion of mass into energy during the formation of the nucleus.

2. How is binding energy related to mass defect?

Binding energy is the amount of energy required to break apart a nucleus into its individual nucleons (protons and neutrons). This energy is equivalent to the mass defect of the nucleus, as determined by Einstein's famous equation E=mc².

3. What is the role of nuclear forces in mass defect and binding energy?

Nuclear forces are the strong forces that bind protons and neutrons together in the nucleus. These forces also contribute to the mass defect and binding energy of a nucleus. The stronger the nuclear forces, the more tightly bound the nucleus is and the higher its binding energy.

4. How is binding energy per nucleon related to nuclear stability?

Binding energy per nucleon is a measure of the average amount of energy required to remove a nucleon from a nucleus. The higher the binding energy per nucleon, the more stable the nucleus is. This is because a higher binding energy indicates a stronger binding between nucleons, making it more difficult to break the nucleus apart.

5. Can mass defect and binding energy be used to explain nuclear reactions?

Yes, mass defect and binding energy can be used to explain various nuclear reactions, such as fusion and fission. In fusion reactions, the combining of two lighter nuclei results in a heavier nucleus with a lower mass defect and higher binding energy. In fission reactions, the splitting of a heavy nucleus results in two lighter nuclei with higher mass defects and lower binding energies.